UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2016, 3:49 pm   #21
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Radiogram Revival

There is a similar Ferguson radiogram upstairs in the shop. I'm reluctant to break it up and now after reading this thread I will preserve it. The original BSR record changer was removed and fitted into an awful Dansette record player. However, I have something better to install into the Ferguson, a BSRMacDonald record deck type P182. The P182 has an ADC pick-up cartridge which I believe has a low output voltage so a pre-amplifier will be needed.
After the radiogram has been restored to full working order and the cabinet tidied up it might be of interest to someone who is into items of the seventies era.

DFWB.
Old 19th Jan 2016, 7:14 pm   #22
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
After the radiogram has been restored to full working order and the cabinet tidied up it might be of interest to someone who is into items of the seventies era.
It seems that at last there is some interest in Radiograms, I restored a couple for customers last year, including fitting auxiliary inputs.
The MP3/Blutooth module takes this to the next stage, it also makes them much more usable as a modern music system.

I will be re-homing my Ferguson, it is a bit too modern for my taste, and takes up space I cannot spare!

Mark
Old 20th Jan 2016, 10:27 pm   #23
captainking
Retired Dormant Member

Well its the thing! Vintage Retro a lot of record players with Crossley badge selling well so I am told

Steve
Old 21st Jan 2016, 12:48 pm   #24
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

What an incredibly neat modification Mark. If you sold it on 99% of people would assume it's modern retro and not an upgrade. Apart from "skip rescue" it's very noticeable that RG items you couldn't give away until recently are now in demand. I wouldn't be desperate to add MP3 but is there a similar unit that provides DAB cheaply-with or without the surface mount?
Dave W
Old 21st Jan 2016, 4:17 pm   #25
Doghouse Riley
No Longer a Member

I love hearing about old radiograms being saved from a skip.
I'm quite envious of some contributors to a USA message board dedicated to antique audio equipment.
Tales of picking up 1950/60s Magnovox Astrosonics, for next to nothing at "thrift shops" or "free at the kerb," outside houses, presumably just inherited by grandkids who've no idea of their performance or worth.
Old 21st Jan 2016, 7:07 pm   #26
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
I wouldn't be desperate to add MP3 but is there a similar unit that provides DAB cheaply-with or without the surface mount?
There probably is something out there, I have had some very small stand alone DAB tuners that could easily be panel mounted. They were available from Currys (Matsui) a few years back.
They seem quite sought after now, and sell second hand for more than when they were new!

Mark
Old 23rd Jan 2016, 11:28 am   #27
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes I remember those Mark-should have bought one or two at the time. I'm surprised that I haven't spotted a simple DAB add on. Adding new inputs or FM can be useful but it doesn't give access to the additional radio channels!
I suppose that gutting a rough DAB set is another [less neat] option.
Dave
Old 23rd Jan 2016, 11:06 pm   #28
captainking
Retired Dormant Member

I have seen a couple of DAB radios cheapish in charity shops just recently Dave
in fact I went into British heart foundation the other day and was surprised at the quality and prices of some electrical goods inc Tv's radios etc.

Steve
Closed Thread