UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2020, 10:22 am   #1
torkeltiren
Diode

Default Help regarding Philips LBB 1251 Amplifier

The other day I took a chance on a Philips LBB 1251 Amplifier which I want to use as amp for 2 small 4ohm speakers. After some research I'm a bit clueless about how to connect these speakers, and if I can get stereo audio from the amp

As far as I can tell one speaker is connected to the 0 and 4ohm outlet (mono?) OR the speakers can be connected to one of the DIN 5-pin outputs, but which of these I don't know.

Basically my goal is to play AUX through the amp with stereo sound (if possible). If there is solutions without having to buy a bunch of DIN 5-pin converters, even better!

I've attached a photo of the back plus the manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf philips lbb1251 + photo.pdf (1.82 MB, 231 views)
Old 29th Jan 2020, 10:40 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Help regarding Philips LBB 1251 Amplifier

That appears to be a small professional public address amplifier. It is a mono amp so cannot provide a stereo output.

The 5 pin DIN sockets are inputs for microphones and line level sources.
Old 29th Jan 2020, 10:56 am   #3
torkeltiren
Diode

Oh well, another reason to avoid impulse buys without researching first. Thanks for the swift reply!
Old 29th Jan 2020, 11:46 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This is is a professional standard PA amp and I know it well. Beautifully made and powerful at up to 50 watts. All I can suggest you do is to wire your two 4 ohm speakers in series and connect across the 8 ohm speaker ouput option. What input sources do you intend to use? If a record deck, what are its audio connectors - DIN or Phono, and, importantly, what type of cartridge is fitted - MM or Ceramic/Crystal? We can then advise on connections.
Old 29th Jan 2020, 5:00 pm   #5
torkeltiren
Diode

My plan was to have it in the kitchen and use an airport express (aux) as input source and send audio via airplay from my phone. If it's not suitable for that maybe it could make a good karaoke-amp?
Old 30th Jan 2020, 8:53 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It would make a most excellent Karaoke amp as it has a powerful output and has input mixing for microphone and other music sources.