UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2007, 7:24 pm   #1
adibrook
Retired Dormant Member

Default Comepletely homebrew amp

It has been suggested several times that i should try to design and build an amp completly myself, without using random parts of other machines or just modefying other devices.

Well, now i think about it, maybe its NOT such an impossible task afterall.

The biggest problem for me is the actual structure to hold the circuitry. I didnt think i had the equipment or the space to build anything. But...since modefying that umbrella stand into a cab, and a few other jobs, i think its feasable to build my own amp!.

So far, hers what i'v come up with (this is just a crappy 20min paint diagram), it whould demonstrate the design of the device tho.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...k/ampcase1.gif

Rather than using a more conventional desing like Marshall heads and stuff, i think maybe this will be better.

The wood bits will be MDF i think. Chipbord is too weak at holding screws and plywood cant take screws into its edges. MDF is nice, dence and strong, and can take screws in any side or edge.

The shassis is a sheet of metal with a 90* bend. This is to minimise workign with sheet metal. If i tried to make anythging more complex than it will end up being a mess.

Cooling will be forced, since overkill is better than overheat. The way i plan to do it is drill holes in the shassis around the valve holders, and put in a fan that creates a gentle positive pressure inside the case, which will blow out of the holes, providing streams of cooling air aroudn the tubes, and as a bonus providing contant air movement over all components. Dust will be a problem i guess, but i'll have to live with that. The other day it hit 38* in a studio i was in .

So, any opinions on this desing?

Thanks.
Old 17th Mar 2007, 11:13 pm   #2
reelguy
Heptode

Default Re: Comepletely homebrew amp

Adi.
I haven't made anything like this for quite a few years,{Like 40} But one thing struck me.
Maybe you should design and build the actual amp first then see what size the cabinet might need to be. Also check that it works etc.
I shall watch with interest. Good luck
Peter W Reelguy.
PS, Where's me 'ammer and nails ! ?.
Old 18th Mar 2007, 10:25 am   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I agree. Once you have the electrical design sorted out (not necessarily complete, but to the extent that you know what major parts are being used) then lay out the top panel and establish the size from that. I'm sure many of us have started a design with the case then had problems fitting it all in as it evolves.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 18th Mar 2007, 11:44 am   #4
adibrook
Retired Dormant Member

Of course that is all to follow. I havnt come up with any mesurements yet.

What i'm more interasted in is generally opinions the design of the casing and shassis. Its pretty unconventional, since most radios and amps have shassis inside a wooden case. Whereas this has a wooden case with the top plate being the shassis, slightly lower than the top edges of the wood. I'v seen some hifi amps made simular to this. Also i believed i borrowed the idea of putting holes around valve bases for ventilation from a hifi amp (but that amp had no fan to encourage airflow).

By the way, the vertical part of the metal sheet is to fit controls etc. There will also be (not shown in diagram) a piece of sheet metal on the back holding the power connector and output jack sockets.
Old 18th Mar 2007, 12:09 pm   #5
Station X

It wil take a long time to design and build a case like that. You might be better off buying a ready made chassis from somewhere such as Bluebell Audio:-

http://www.bluebellaudio.com/

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 8:20 pm   #6
Merlin
Retired Dormant Member

Your design is do-able. I would orientate one of those upright transformers at 90 degrees to the other though, for minimal hum.
Also, plywood will take screws in its edge very well, though MDF is pretty easy to work i agree.
I actually really like your idea of having the trannies/valves mounted on top of the head for all to see- I hate hiding things in boxes! Better hope you don't have any really wild gigs though..!

By the way, I have a few blank, zinc-plated steel chassis made up, I'd be happy to sell you one (£16 inc post) photo: http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...e/CIMG1452.jpg. I've also got turrets and board material for sale in the "parts for sale" section of this forum.
Old 24th Mar 2007, 7:50 pm   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
It wil take a long time to design and build a case like that. You might be better off buying a ready made chassis from somewhere such as Bluebell Audio:-

This link doesn't appear to work. I have clicked on it twice in the past few minuites, and all I get is 'Internet Explorer cannot display the Web Page'
Old 24th Mar 2007, 8:47 pm   #8
Station X

You're right. The link doesn't work. That is the correct url. It worked when I posted it. Let's hope it's just a glitch and the site reppears in a day or two.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 30th Mar 2007, 9:35 am   #9
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

The Bluebell link seems to be working fine now:-

Regards, Mick.
Closed Thread