UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2019, 2:11 pm   #1
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Oxxford Instruments 2137 MPSU

Just found this whilst poking about looking for HMV 2126 (I guess it came up because there was a 2126 MPSU too).

It's a unit I worked on the design of back in the early '80s used for running up an early OXFORD superconducting MRI magnet.

Bit of nostalgia and nice to hear it still works after 36 years in service!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OXFORD-IN...-/231942077875

It's a conventional 3-phase rectified choke input filter basic supply with a watercooled linear regulator (about 50 RCS258s if I recall). The Hubbell mains inlet looks like an aftermarket fit- the original probably wouldn't have met with UL approval. It has a control unit with a switched rate sweep generator and operates in variable constant current mode with a two volt compliance limit.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Jan 2019, 5:52 pm   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Oxxford Instruments 2137 MPSU

Who was running OMT back then? I ran engineering at the Research Instruments Division during the 90's - worked for John Pilcher.
Old 20th Jan 2019, 10:56 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Oxxford Instruments 2137 MPSU

I think it was Nick Randall.

The 2137 was a development of the 2115 150A 10V unit used on an OI magnet and was developed before the electronics dept I was in was transferred to OMT around 1984. We lived away from the Osney Mead site out at the ARC site at Wootton before OMT moved en masse out to the new Eynsham factory. Roger Littlewood was electronics manager who I believe reported to JP. There was a whole bunch of them that drank in the Greyhound ISTR.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread