UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2007, 11:40 pm   #1
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Default Vintage remote control

I built this nice usefull, but fairly simple circuit to make my bedroom telly (a vintage Decca Bradford) semi remote controll...

Pin 8 from the Video SCART socket into an optocoupler, This switches on a TIP41 which is connected to a fairly hefty relay, a handfull of other components and built into a box with a socket on it. 'Hey presto' semi- remote controll vintage TV !
When you turn the VCR on it turns the TV on, when you turn it off, or when the tape runs out, rewinds and the video goes back to sleep, the I'm not sure if I'm sad or not...
Although the 'non understanding' people I know guarantee me a space in the local loony bin !

I just can't sleep, tried everything, so I watch my Decca 30.
Over the last couple of years I had it on a timer, it was OK but the time always ran out before I'd dropped off, so I get back up, re-set the timer and then I'm wide awake again !
The answer to this was a nice simple circuit...
Pin 8 from the Video into an optocoupler, into a TIP41 - into a fairly hefty relay, a handfull of other components and built into a box with a socket on it. 'Hey presto' semi- remote controll TV !
It consumes 5mA in standby and 140mA when active.
I have also put a bi colour LED on the front so you can tell if the the thing is in standby or your vintage TV is taking far too long to come on
When you turn the VCR on it turns the TV on, when you turn it off, or when the tape runs out, rewinds and the video goes back to sleep, the TV turns off.

Don't build it into your vintage TV though, that would just be wrong !

Well, I like the idea, just thought one of you lovers of the CRT & Valves may be interested.turns off.
Old 7th Mar 2007, 11:25 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Vintage remote controll

Sounds like an electronic Wallace and Grommet device. You may be interested to know that the afternoon play on R4 today dealt with insomnia and included professional advice from some other Doctors!
Dave
Old 8th Mar 2007, 2:08 pm   #3
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Thanks for that Dave.
Sadly I mainly work in an EMC Chamber so I can't recieve any kind of radio.
(With exeption on the 1k tone I have to put up with !)
wooooooooooooooooooooooo...
Old 18th Mar 2007, 12:30 pm   #4
Dr-Watts
Heptode

I just realised that I didn't edit that first post too well, did I.

Oh well, nice to see that you guy's got the jist of things.

The Dr.
Old 18th Mar 2007, 2:25 pm   #5
Zulu95
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Vintage remote control

I made a wired box for my Tandberg TD20A SE tape recorder. The Tandberg remote was no longer available or way too expensive at the time. (Can't remember which it was!)
Old 21st Mar 2007, 12:36 am   #6
Tim
Dekatron

Any one remember the Panasonic top loading VCR (NV(R?)366?) that had a CABLE remote? This was simply a network of resistors,( a different value placed across the circuit for different functions and a dead short for stop.) I built a "clone" remote with some push buttons mounted on a little box-I copied the values from my mates machine. I still have it somewhere. I may even have the original remote if anyone wants it.
Old 22nd Mar 2007, 1:34 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Any one remember the Panasonic top loading VCR (NV(R?)366?) that had a CABLE remote? This was simply a network of resistors
A very common arrangement... I think many of the cheaper machines of that era e.g. Ferguson 3V29 and Hitachi VT11 employed a similar system.
Old 27th Mar 2007, 1:16 pm   #8
Dr-Watts
Heptode

I work in the motor industry now, and the 'resistor ladder' technique is still used in steering wheel controls for audio and cruise controll functions

Old habbits never die eh...
'If it ain;t broke, don't fix it !'