UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2018, 10:14 pm   #1
yestertech
Nonode

Default Thorens TD2001 t/table - auto shutoff problem

When playing 45s , the shut off operates too soon, about 3/4 of the way through. This has happened suddenly after a few months of laying idle. Despite going through all the adjustments in the service manual, I can;t seem to find how this is adjusted. Any ideas ?

Andy
Old 14th Sep 2018, 6:29 pm   #2
yestertech
Nonode

Default Re: Thorens TD2001 t/table - auto shutoff problem

just bumping this oh so gently....

A
Old 14th Sep 2018, 6:41 pm   #3
vidjoman
Dekatron

Can’t see how an adjustment can cure this. They don’t move on their own. Must be something sticking due to non use for a while. You will have to look carefully at what is sticking.
Old 14th Sep 2018, 9:38 pm   #4
teetoon
Heptode

Hello Andy. I had a quick google at this deck and the end sensor seems to be a triangular shaped plastic piece on the bottom of the arm bearing that interupts an optical sensor. If this has become misaligned due to the arm being moved to far (probably to the right) it will come towards the sensor too soon.
You need to have a look underneath and see if this can be reset. It seems to have a screw that holds it on the shaft coming from the arm.

Hope this helps.
David.
Old 14th Sep 2018, 10:20 pm   #5
teetoon
Heptode

This is the best picture I can find.
I assume in the picture the arm is on it's rest. This should give you an idea of the position of the mech.

David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thorens TD2001 underside.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	169329  
Old 14th Sep 2018, 10:42 pm   #6
John Caswell
Hexode

Hi all,
I have had several of these plastic quadrants break due to the tension put on them by the fixing screw being done up too tight originally.

John
Old 15th Sep 2018, 10:07 pm   #7
Techman
Dekatron

Not with this particular deck as I don't think I've ever had dealings with one, but I've certainly had this sort of plastic breakage as described by John on other very similar decks, so worth checking out. I don't even think it's down to over tightening of the screw as the screw needs to be fairly tight anyway. I think it's down to the plastic degrading and becoming brittle with age. Trying to glue it is a waste of time, so some bodgery with busbar wire wound round tightly is about the only repair that can be done - well I've done it that way and it's worked.
Closed Thread