UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2007, 3:50 pm   #1
milairuk
Pentode

Default Dual outputs from one transformer secondary ??

I want to have two switched HT outputs, both individually selectable high/low, but want to use only one transformer. Given that the current rating would be split between the two rails, would the attached circuit work or am I missing something? Voltages given are just notional at this time.
Ideas / comments invited
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	psu.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	8226  
Old 11th Feb 2007, 4:39 pm   #2
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Question Re: Dual outputs from one transformer secondary ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by milairuk View Post
I want to have two switched HT outputs, both individually selectable high/low, but want to use only one transformer. Given that the current rating would be split between the two rails, would the attached circuit work or am I missing something? Voltages given are just notional at this time.
Ideas / comments invited
Hi,
if one output is switched high, the other one will be high too !?!

Kind regards,
Darius
Old 11th Feb 2007, 4:42 pm   #3
milairuk
Pentode

Default Re: Dual outputs from one transformer secondary ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeurope View Post
Hi,
if one output is switched high, the other one will be high too !?!

Kind regards,
Darius
Sorry I may not have decsribed this well - The switches are not ganged, SW1 & SW2 are seperately selected, so HT1 can be set to 350v, whilst HT2 can be set for 250v, Or the opposite, or both at 350v or both at 250v.
Old 11th Feb 2007, 5:00 pm   #4
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Dual outputs from one transformer secondary ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by milairuk View Post
Sorry I may not have decsribed this well - The switches are not ganged, SW1 & SW2 are seperately selected, so HT1 can be set to 350v, whilst HT2 can be set for 250v, Or the opposite, or both at 350v or both at 250v.
Hi,
you described this well. If SW1 is switched to 350V and SW2 is switched to 250V both will be 350V. I am sure (at the moment, hi hi).

Darius

Last edited by oldeurope; 11th Feb 2007 at 5:04 pm. Reason: 250V
Old 11th Feb 2007, 5:34 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi , the common ground connection will give problems. You would be better using simple 1/2 wave rectification and larger caps. Then switch your "outputs" to the desired supply. Note that you may need substantial switches as it will be DC.

Ed
Old 11th Feb 2007, 7:32 pm   #6
milairuk
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Hi , the common ground connection will give problems. You would be better using simple 1/2 wave rectification and larger caps.
Ed
Thanks Ed, I had a feeling that the common ground would cause a problem. Your suggestion is so damned obvious. Sometimes ideas get overcomplicated
I'm not too worried about ripple as the solid state regulators will give 60dB rejection on their own.
John
Closed Thread