UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Mar 2007, 6:54 pm   #1
ColinB
Heptode

Default LED sign

Not strictly radio related I know, but I wondered if anyone might be interested in seeing my recently completed project (thought not...).

This is a scrolling LED message display system with an RS232 link, so you can alter what it says from a PC. There are 20 characters, each constructed from 5x7 LEDs. The software at the PC end was written in VB, and the PIC code in C.

FWIW

Colin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sign pic 1.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	8790   Click image for larger version

Name:	sign pic 2.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	8791  
Old 18th Mar 2007, 7:24 pm   #2
evingar
Octode

Default Re: LED sign

Looks very professional Colin

I used to work with a guy who constructed a high resolution moving message display using hundreds (probably thousands ! ) of tiny surface mounted LEDs. The panels were so neat, they looked like a factory-fabricated PCB .We used to worry about the guy.... a lot

His was based on a 6809 processor, you entered the text required via a dumb terminal.
Old 20th Mar 2007, 1:16 pm   #3
ColinB
Heptode

Default Re: LED sign

Thanks.

It did take a while to fit the 700 LEDs - I'm a bit worried about myself...!
Closed Thread