UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jul 2021, 7:28 pm   #1
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Clarostat CM43464 pot.

I have a Tektronix P6201 FET probe which I think has a faulty DC offset pot. I say this because the knob rotates continuously with no end-stops and I don't think this can be right. The pot is a Clarostat CM43464 and is 5k but has to be physically quite small to be in the housing. Would anyone have one of these to sell, or does anyone know if its behaviour is correct?
TIA, Colin.
Old 6th Aug 2021, 5:30 pm   #2
ronbryan
Octode

Default Re: Clarostat CM43464 pot.

Colin

The DC offset pot on my P6201 rotates 3.5 turns before a light end stop can be felt. The pot knob can be turned past the end stop and then rotates ad infinitum. This happens for both CW and CCW rotation. Maybe the pot has some kind of slipping clutch to protect the mechanism.

Ron
Old 6th Aug 2021, 6:13 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

It's probably a normal pot with a built in epicyclic friction reducer gear..... think of those Jackson Bros slow motion drives. Some of the American pots with ball reducers had the balls exposed at the back, ready for fluff and dust to get in.

David
Old 6th Aug 2021, 9:47 pm   #4
factory
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Some of the American pots with ball reducers had the balls exposed at the back, ready for fluff and dust to get in.

David
Picture of the "pot with balls" from the hp 1824A, think it might be a bit bigger than the one in the Tek probe.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4800a.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	238924

David
Old 9th Aug 2021, 2:19 pm   #5
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbryan View Post
Colin

The DC offset pot on my P6201 rotates 3.5 turns before a light end stop can be felt. The pot knob can be turned past the end stop and then rotates ad infinitum. This happens for both CW and CCW rotation. Maybe the pot has some kind of slipping clutch to protect the mechanism.

Ron
Thanks for this info. I have just checked mine out and it shows the same behaviour. I hadn't noticed the light end-stops before, but they are definitely there. I checked the resistance when rotating the knob and there are definitely two limits - around 1R and around 2.5K (which is the measured resistance across the pot, not 5k). There is no mention of this behaviour in any of the documents I have, nor is it mentioned in TekWiki, where photos of this pot can be seen. I wonder why Tektronix decided to do this but not document it?

Colin.
Old 9th Aug 2021, 3:38 pm   #6

Quote:
Tektronix decided to do this but not document it?
No need, you just twiddle it, overthinking is the problem. In normal operation you would never go outside the limits so it doesn't matter, it just works.

Old 10th Aug 2021, 9:28 am   #7
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Quote:
Tektronix decided to do this but not document it?
No need, you just twiddle it, overthinking is the problem. In normal operation you would never go outside the limits so it doesn't matter, it just works.
I can see your point, but:

(1) Pots usually have end-stops - if they rotate continuously they appear to be broken.
(2) It would surely have been cheaper to use a standard pot.

Or am I underthinking (if there is such a word).

Colin.
Old 11th Aug 2021, 12:04 am   #8
knobtwiddler
Octode

If you really do need to find another pot, there is a firm in NY USA called 'State Electronics'. They bought all the Claro parts up (as well as Allen Bradley), and can make pots to order. However, make sure you're sitting down when you see the price...
Closed Thread