UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2021, 3:38 pm   #41
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Using original mains connectors

Didn't mean they wanted the app to just give them information... they want it to do the whole job

David
Old 17th Jul 2021, 4:11 pm   #42
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Didn't mean they wanted the app to just give them information... they want it to o the whole job

David
Clearly that wouldn't happen unless an app was designed specifically to troubleshoot a system, I consider my children to be young and they use apps all the time for all sorts of things but somehow I don't think that they would be expecting an app to do the cooking at home and serving it up, wishing maybe but not expecting...

Youth sometimes get a bad press but lets remember who will most likely be looking after folks in a home when they start smelling of p*ss and biscuits... ...the younger generation, we all owe much to them whether we realize it or not.

Lawrence.
Old 17th Jul 2021, 5:00 pm   #43
David Simpson
Nonode

No one is suggesting that safe testing & fault-finding proceedures from yesteryear should be changed. Nor that "FETrodes should replace valves, and so on. Also, many restorers fit modern hi-spec capacitors inside original cans & metalised tubing, for authenticity - a jolly good idea. My beef relating to this threads original query - is that there is no place in the 21st century for not replacing the original 2 wire unfused two pin mains connector & the associated vir or ancient pvc mains flex. A modern 3pin mains plug, fused at 1A(the smallest rating of fuse sold in DIY stores & the like), & using modern safe 3 core "retro" flex is the safe way forward. An additional internal anti-surge fuse of 200-300mA rating would give extra safety, plus clearly written sleeving on the chassis wiring associated with the rectification circuitry, denoting L & N, and +ve & -ve, and Earth(for whoever might poke their head behind the back cover). Dead simple to install. I know of many vintage radio enthusiasts who always do this, irrespective of professional or hobbyist backgrounds.
To those who Poo Poo this safe action - I suggest that their hands in their pockets are not necessarily in there for safety purposes.

Regards, David
Old 17th Jul 2021, 5:25 pm   #44
GrimJosef
Dekatron

We're at an impasse David. When you say

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
My beef ... is that there is no place in the 21st century for not replacing the original 2 wire unfused two pin mains connector & the associated vir or ancient pvc mains flex. A modern 3pin mains plug, fused at 1A(the smallest rating of fuse sold in DIY stores & the like), & using modern safe 3 core "retro" flex is the safe way forward ...
I disagree. I think there are some places for it, where the resulting risk is tiny. I'll not encourage you to expand on what you think of people like me.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 17th Jul 2021, 7:34 pm   #45
Red to black
Nonode

Yeah ? well you keep your hands in your pocket DS, as you clearly need it!
Old 17th Jul 2021, 7:37 pm   #46
kalee20
Dekatron

I aim to bring the connectors up to full original standard, I do the best job I can.

The one that isn't, is the 3-pin connector on my Soundmirror tape recorder. It's rubber and moulded onto the mains lead - which had hardened and cracked, being rubber insulated. So this has been modified to have an IEC320 inlet, and the ubiquitous lead.
Old 18th Jul 2021, 11:36 am   #47
David Simpson
Nonode

All I know, from experience & contacts, etc., over quite a few years, is that far, far more safety concious vintage enthusiasts fit modern safe mains connections & cabling, than do folk who dont. Especially those who flog restored stuff - as fully working, on eBay or at decent auction & sales. Folk who dont are making themselves look as daft as that duffer on TRS who just said "whoops" , grinning like an idiot,when he tripped the whole building's main RCD in front of millions of TV viewers.
I'm not heavily into domestic table-top wirelesses, but have repaired/restored a number of mains sets & AC/DC sets. Every one was fitted with modern cabling,fusing,connections, etc. - straight away. Non were put up for sale, but given to other (responable) collectors bucksheesh. One or two were given to friends or family for just display use ONLY. Some were donated to BVWS sales, for their funds, & no doubt suffered Mike Barker's cable snipping straight away.

Regards, David

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 18th Jul 2021 at 12:39 pm. Reason: Inappropriate remarks removed
Old 18th Jul 2021, 12:25 pm   #48

Quote:
Young people want it all in app form...
That's the answer, a vintage radio "App" with many "Skins" complete with warm up time for indirectly heated valve sets. For the wide screen on most portable devices the Pye 1108 would be marvellous.

Old 18th Jul 2021, 12:45 pm   #49
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Quote:
Young people want it all in app form...
That's the answer, a vintage radio "App" with many "Skins" complete with warm up time for indirectly heated valve sets. For the wide screen on most portable devices the Pye 1108 would be marvellous.
Come now, when was the last time you saw a young'un holding their iThing landscape?
Closed Thread