UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2020, 7:40 pm   #1
Boulevardier
Octode

Default FM de-emphasis network

Can anyone explain how this circuit (Grundig Elite-Boy 500) does the FM de-emphasis? Surely it must be done between the output of the ratio detector (junction of C526 & R532) and the FM/AM IF input switching to the audio amplifier just after MP11. There are only three components between those two points – a 1.8KΩ resistor, a 4.7 nF capacitor, and a 220 pF capacitor. An online calculator gives a time-constant of only 8.5 µs for that network. Surely there must be something else going on…

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: docx IF Amplifier stages.docx (459.1 KB, 87 views)
Old 28th Jan 2020, 8:05 pm   #2
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: FM de-emphasis network

I agree!

May be a typo... 1.8k perhaps is actually 18k in circuit?
Old 28th Jan 2020, 9:19 pm   #3
Boulevardier
Octode

Thanks Kalee. I have checked the value in the set, and it's clearly marked as 1.8K, 5%. It measures 1.776K (only about 1.5% off spec). I've also measured the capacitor (the decimal point isn't that clear) and it's marked 4,700, and measures 4,574pF (2.75% low). So component values seem to be on-spec. Haven't checked the 200pF as that value is trivial in relation to the tolerances.

I'm still puzzled, and wonder if Papa Grundig just meant it to be that way. There is some sibilance on audio, which doesn't start to disappear until a 10nF is substituted for the 4.7nF. The ratio detector circuit isn't one I've seen before- no third winding. Perhaps the unknown circuit impedances and inductances are significant enough to explain the peculiar component values in the de-emphasis circuit.

Mike
Old 28th Jan 2020, 9:20 pm   #4
Synchrodyne
Nonode

I think that one also needs to consider the load into which the demodulator and de-emphasis look when FM is switched in. That load – presumably essentially resistive - is effectively in parallel with the de-emphasis capacitor. Depending upon its value, it may be the dominant factor in setting the de-emphasis time constant, rather than the combination of the demodulator output resistor that is in series with the de-emphasis capacitor(s). De-emphasis circuits can be hard to figure out at times – they are not always simply a low impedance source feeding a simple R-C network that in turn is looking into a (relatively) very high impedance that has but negligible effect. I discovered that aeons ago when trying to figure out the de-emphasis circuit of the Quad FM tuner. (In that case the load presented by the control unit was part of it.)

Cheers,
Closed Thread