UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2020, 2:42 pm   #21
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Re: Phono amps without ground terminal

My colleague's amp is a TEAC CR-H248. So it's actually a CD player/ receiver.

There's a set of Aux inputs - one L+R and one which I think is for a cassette/ mini disc.
Old 28th Jan 2020, 2:55 pm   #22
paulsherwin

I think you are looking for problems where none exist. Just hook up the phonos and it's very, very likely to Just Work. You can investigate alternative earthing arrangements in the unlikely event that there are issues with hum or other noise.
Old 28th Jan 2020, 3:21 pm   #23
Martin Bush
Octode

You are quite possibly right. I'm just trying to cover all bases as I'm trying to help and reassure someone who is less willing to fiddle with things - and I don't really want to make a journey to their home simply to move a wire

Anyway, I think I have enough now to give some clear advice.
Old 28th Jan 2020, 3:38 pm   #24
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bush View Post
You are quite possibly right. I'm just trying to cover all bases as I'm trying to help and reassure someone who is less willing to fiddle with things - and I don't really want to make a journey to their home simply to move a wire

Anyway, I think I have enough now to give some clear advice.
If you do get a hum when you connect it up..don't worry about earth wiring in the first instant, drop the cartridge/styli unit and check the contacts on the headshell.
Old 28th Jan 2020, 4:19 pm   #25
ajgriff
Nonode

The Teac is a modern piece of kit with a standard figure-of-eight 2 pin mains connector so it'll be Class II with no mains earth reference. Just leave the turntable ground wire disconnected as Paul suggests and you are unlikely to encounter problems.

Alan
Old 28th Jan 2020, 7:10 pm   #26
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I think you are looking for problems where none exist. Just hook up the phonos and it's very, very likely to Just Work. You can investigate alternative earthing arrangements in the unlikely event that there are issues with hum or other noise.
Spot on Paul.

Don't overthink this.
Rega tonearms are earthed via (I think) the Left hand phono cable outer and thence to signal earth and none of mine have ever given a problem.
The tonearm in my possession that has a separate earth wire I simply connect by the afore mentioned crocodile clip to the outer of the phono plug when using the Rega Cursa3 preamp that has no dedicated earth post and I can't be bothered to unscrew a case screw to trap an earth wire as per the instructions. Again, no problems.
I have a separate Phono stage for use with MC cartridges and the earth post on that is wired straight on to the main signal ground PCB track, and its completely hum free.
Theres your answers Martin.

Andy
Old 28th Jan 2020, 10:31 pm   #27
McMurdo
Dekatron

if you leave the seperate ground wire floating in mid air the turntable will almost certainly hum.
Some cartridges have a little strap from the shell to one of the ground wires, if you replicate this, you can delete the seperate ground wire.
Old 28th Jan 2020, 11:00 pm   #28
ajgriff
Nonode

The key thing here is that it's ok for your friend to buy a pre-amp without a ground terminal. If there is a hum issue it can easily be resolved.

Alan

Last edited by ajgriff; 28th Jan 2020 at 11:25 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 28th Jan 2020, 11:44 pm   #29
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
The key thing here is that it's ok for your friend to buy a pre-amp without a ground terminal. If there is a hum issue it can easily be resolved.

Alan
Closed Thread