UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Dec 2019, 1:50 pm   #1
Newtoradios
Retired Dormant Member

Question Advice on selling vintage radios.

Hi Guys
I have recently acquired a number of 1940s valve radios but don't really know much about them. I have been told that they are valuable I have selected the one that I am keeping. I have about 10 others that I am having to store in someone's garage so need to sell these and was wondering if anyone could advise me as to where I start? I am based in Bradford.
Old 26th Dec 2019, 3:16 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Advice on selling vintage radios.

If you post a list of model numbers or even a single photo, members here will give you an honest appraisal of the desirability and possible value of each set. You should be prepared for some disappointment though - with some exceptions, postwar radios are worth a lot less than people often expect, and they are becoming increasingly difficult to sell as supply exceeds demand.
Old 26th Dec 2019, 3:24 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Aside from a few bakelite models, most 1940s radios aren't that valuable - say around £10 to £30 depending mostly on condition. If you would like to show some photos here we could let you know just what you have and give a more definite idea of value. You could then offer the sets here, but for that you would need to fix prices for each one.

I moved house a year ago, and reduced our radio colony by about 300 sets: a local auctioneer in Newcastle was very helpful, put on a dedicated sale, and some good prices were realised. With ten to sell it might still be worth your while looking at local auctioneers in case there's one whose auctions the sets would fit. I've been surprised by how well radios sell at auction even here in a small town in Norfolk. eBay is another possibility but involves quite a bit of work, most valve radios aren't easy to pack well enough for them to be safe in transit, and if you restrict the auction to "buyer collects" things tend to sell very cheaply if at all - though at least your location means there are a good few potential buyers within reasonable travelling distance, which could only help.

Paul
Old 26th Dec 2019, 4:35 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

When advertising these, the last thing we genuine collectors/restorers want you to do is to apply power and say if they are working or not, as this can cause real damage unless certain precautions are taken.

What we do appreciate, is when the seller carefully removes the back cover and without disturbing anything, includes a clear photo of the interior so condition & completeness can be assessed.

Then there is the matter of entrusting valve radios to the postal services. The truth is they don't travel well, and many sellers will wisley opt for "personal collection only".
Old 26th Dec 2019, 4:49 pm   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

Rest assured, the guys on here are not saying that these may not be of any great value so that they can get their hands on them, I'm afraid it is the way it is. 'Plain' 40s sets are sometimes difficult to sell at a tenner. But saying that, others can fetch hundreds. As has been said, post a list of make & model numbers (not serial numbers) and/or a photo of them and we can advise further.
Old 26th Dec 2019, 5:15 pm   #6
David Simpson
Nonode

As well as posting photos on this thread, and resisting any urges to "plug em in" - there are a number of trusty Forum &/or BVWS folk who live in your neck of the woods & who might be prepared to call in by & give you an honest opinion of their condition & worth. Belt & Braces, eh.

Regards, David
Old 26th Dec 2019, 5:23 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Cosmetic condition is very important if you want to achieve good prices and easy sales. The people prepared to pay very high prices for old radios are not restorers and menders like most of us here, but fans of particular designs or people who want to furnish a period room, and they want the radio to be absolutely pristine. Cosmetic damage and everyday wear and tear can be repaired, but it is a very difficult and highly skilled job.
Old 26th Dec 2019, 10:27 pm   #8
greenstar
Octode

Are you sure these are 40's? Without identifying them you cannot be sure. 30's and 50's sets are also fairly common. There will be model numbers on the back cover, or on a plate on the chassis. Also, yes, just put them in a row and take a photo of the lot so that people here can advise. It needs to be low resolution,. radio museum has info on many models, or a simple google of the model number will often bring up something.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/
Old 30th Dec 2019, 10:51 pm   #9
lloydwells
Heptode

Ebay em. Any half decent looking 30s or 40s set will make £30-40 without much bother
Closed Thread