UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2012, 12:34 pm   #21
Wage Slave
Hexode

Default Re: Philips B3G75U. Room Temperature Sensitive Hum

Indeed. UL84 it is.
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 7:07 am   #22
Wage Slave
Hexode

Can anything about the state of a valve be determined from its external appearance? I doubt it but .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03625.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	64234  
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 9:31 am   #23
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

Have the main smoothing capacitors C1/C2 been replaced?

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
Old 23rd Mar 2012, 10:23 am   #24
Wage Slave
Hexode

Yes. The old one is just there for show.
Old 12th May 2012, 1:38 pm   #25
Wage Slave
Hexode

Well, an update. Thanks to someone kind on here I got a NOS UL84 delivered all the way to Japan for a very reasonable cost. That improved matters noticeably. The hum went and hasn't re-appeared but I run this radio quite a lot and after a while the too loud even on minimum volume fault came back. Not nearly as severe but definitely not right. So then I thought that perhaps there was a bad joint on the resistor to earth from the bottom of the volume pot. I remade the connections and that seemed to work for a week or so but then the problem re-appeared which also coincided with a colder snap. There is/was still something a bit temperature sensitive about this fault.

So then I thought why not change the resistor and the others in that part of the circuit as new ones only cost 20p each. I did that today and the problem has gone completely and I think the tone has improved noticeably.

Now, all these resistors are original carbon composition type and all tested fine on the multimeter. Is it possible that one or more might test OK on the meter but drift high under load a bit like capacitors fail under load? Is it also possible they become sensitive to temperature after many years in service?

Anyway, I'm a happy bunny. The set is really working very well - I'm listening to Question Time on it now and it sounds terrific. It seems to do an especially good job of folk and Enka music on the high quality AM broadcasts that NHK provides. They also do some proper Jazz which sounds terrific too.

Last edited by Wage Slave; 12th May 2012 at 1:50 pm.
Old 12th May 2012, 1:46 pm   #26
Alistair D
Nonode

Old carbon compsition can show the effects you describe. It sounds like you need to invest is some more diagnostic kit namely a tin of freezer spray and a hair dryer. These really do come into their own on intermittent faults

Al
Old 12th May 2012, 1:54 pm   #27
Wage Slave
Hexode

Yes. I did go over it with a hair dryer but it didn't really tell me anything. Perhaps the room temperature was too high. I am on the hunt for a can of freezer spray but it doesn't seem to be a common thing to use here. It would help if I could read the squiggle covered labels as well! Not being literate is a right pain and an insight sometimes.
Closed Thread