UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2020, 11:52 pm   #21
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Anyone able to identify the brand of this please

Unlikely - but might be worth an enquiry:

https://www.ctcupholsterycoventry.co.uk

Yes, I know its upholstery, but it's the ctc bit of that which came to my attention.

Just trying to contribute / help.

Al.
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 11:59 am   #22
bluepilot
Heptode

Default Re: Anyone able to identify the brand of this please

Well here:
Gramophone with doors and hole
is a gramophone with doors on the front and an aperture behind so I guess it could have been some sort of gramophone. They didn't all have trumpets on.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 12:07 pm   #23
ms660
Dekatron

I won't state the obvious.

Lawrence.
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 12:53 pm   #24
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Some clue may be obtained if the type of wood could be identified. A really unusual wood may indicate that the item may be made elsewhere than in the U.K.
Also it would help perhaps, to inspect the method of construction to try to determine if it is mass-produced, or perhaps a hand-made one-off item. Tony
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 7:43 pm   #25
lloydwells
Heptode

If anyone fancies a look seek out the Gecophone bc2010 on radiomuseum very similar to how I'm thinking this started out .
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 7:46 pm   #26
lloydwells
Heptode

I'd point out the Gecophone cabinet has all the same traits back doors on the speaker compartment a specific area for batteries and a control panel / chassis on the top.
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 7:50 pm   #27
lloydwells
Heptode

Bluepilot I'd be inclined towards a gramophone except the door would be on the front to act as a volume control there's a solid shelf between the top and the bottom and the grill being that far down is a heck of a distance for an internal horn. That being said some things of course were built in to gramophone housings for example the HMV 105
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 8:11 pm   #28
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The doors at the back would be pointless in a normal gramophone, and there would certainly be a hole at the side for the winding handle. The only exception that occurs to me, is that I once met an HMV gramophone whose motor was powered by an accumulator: that if I remember rightly did have doors at the back for access to the battery; but the idea never caught on at all and I'd be very surprised if an obscure company had employed it. .
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 8:37 pm   #29
julie_m
Dekatron

If it's from the 1920s or early '30s, then it could well be a bespoke build, with "C.T.C." or "T.C.C." representing the customer. A little custom woodwork would hardly have added much to the cost of a radio with a loudspeaker! It could have been made for a management suite in a large factory; a club lounge (T.C. Club, C.T. Club); or even a college common room (C. Technical College -- perhaps a donation from a former student made good?) There could be some history behind it!
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 9:15 pm   #30
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
As far as the original post's photo of the cabinet in question goes, it could be anything. Some more sleuthing, looking inside and around the back may yield clues, or it may not. No one has recognised it as a known radio/audio device.
Considering there were also countless aftermarket equipment cabinets, it makes total sense that it isn't recognised as a particular model. It might not even have been made by a manufacturer of wireless sets. However by looking at the style and the features, I'd give it a >90% chance that it has something to do with sound reproduction, be it wireless or by gramophone or both.
Old 6th Jan 2020, 2:11 pm   #31
sparkymike
Octode

It could well have been a one off made by a cabinet maker, either for himself with his own initials, or for a customer with those initials.
It looks too clean to be of great age.
Closed Thread