UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2013, 9:08 pm   #1
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Two for the winter.

I picked up two and a half receivers from the South Coast this evening. They were in a derelict garden shed infested with all manner of wildlife but fortunately the roof was sound and the floor dry.
The console turns out to be a home constructed 'THE P.T.TELEVISION RECEIVER' of 1949 vintage. It is almost complete even down to the odd plug in mains lead, only lacking a U52 rectifier. It employs a separate R.F. EHT unit and sports a KT66 line output valve!
This is going to be fun.
The pictures show the receiver as found. It is surprisingly clean. It appears to have a two valve pre amp fitted to help the 60 odd mile hop from A.P. to Littlehampton.
The second is an untouched Pye Continental. This is the 90 degree version with MW43-80 tube. All back screws are in place so it may eventually play a tune. The last item is a rather rusty but complete RGD 'DEEP SEVENTEEN' chassis. Would make a good breaker for spares but this model is so reliable that I doubt anyone would need any! The AW43-80 tube will no doubt find a home in one of my awaiting patients.
Two projects for winter evenings. The P.T. will be the most interesting.
Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P.T..jpg
Views:	293
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	81540   Click image for larger version

Name:	P.T. (1).jpg
Views:	296
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	81541   Click image for larger version

Name:	P.T. (2).jpg
Views:	327
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	81542   Click image for larger version

Name:	P.T. (3).jpg
Views:	274
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	81543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye CTM17.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	81544  

Old 3rd Jul 2013, 9:19 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Two for the winter.

Hi John, the PT kit receiver looks like fun, that should keep you busy for a while
They look in pretty good condition despite their poor storage, as for the RGD & Pye sets, they are both worthy of restoration, I have a 'Deep 17' chassis in the garage somewhere if you need it.

Mark
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 9:27 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Practical Television kit sounds a good find. Think I have a NOS AW43-80 here.
Old 3rd Jul 2013, 10:22 pm   #4
thermionic
Heptode

Hi John.

I am looking forward to seeing a picture on both of these. If I were a betting man, then I would have to bet that these will be displaying a raster well before the winter sets in!

If the PT set really is a basket case, you could always recoup your fuel costs by selling that KT66 on Ebay.

Good luck with them.

Cheers. SimonT.
Old 4th Jul 2013, 8:54 am   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Thanks for your offers Hamish and Mark. The RGD is just a chassis so it will be stored away in case someone needs some bits off it. The PT is very clean and I reckon it will be a worker with a bit of care. It's incredibly heavy so I will work on it less cabinet with the chassis side by side. I have the circuit in 'PRACTICAL TELEVISION' so I'm 75% home and dry. The Pye is just run of the mill as such and providing the MW43-80 [90 degree magnetic focus] is OK, it should come to life. LOPT's are generally robust.
We shall see..Cheers, John.
Old 4th Jul 2013, 10:06 am   #6
vidjoman
Dekatron

The PT set must be one of the first with 'flywheel sync' - it's in the pictures, bottom left.
Old 4th Jul 2013, 10:11 am   #7
chip-chop
Triode

That PT one looks interesting John, all those EF50's too - brings back fond memories of Decca Dustbins

I used to have a photographic memory - but it got over-exposed
Old 4th Jul 2013, 5:25 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

Is that speaker bigger than the tube? It should make nice noises as well as show pictures!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Jul 2013, 7:17 pm   #9
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I like the PT set, more my era, the Pye Continental I'm not so keen on, they started getting a little complicated by the time that was produced and as a result developed some weird faults, the early ones were so straightforward.

Will look forward to the progress reports.

Peter
Old 4th Jul 2013, 7:35 pm   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
The PT set must be one of the first with 'flywheel sync' - it's in the pictures, bottom left.
Oh very good VM! The bottom of the cabinet strut is split so will need some work to sort it out before refitting the 'plug in' flywheel sync unit.
It has a Mullard MW22-18 9" tube and the speaker looks like a 10".
I wonder who built it? Quite a nice job and some care taken. A television must have been a very rare thing in Littlehampton in 1949/50.
Ah yes Clive, Decca dustbins. Those two words should appear in the English Dictionary for explanation. I remember the mad dash after school, round to the bridle path to be the first to get to the goodies thrown out by Decca Radar. Very happy days and we were all so very keen back then with our young lives ahead. The things our poor mums put up with! The class of 61/62 at Bushey school. It could never happen today. Regards, John.
Closed Thread