UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2006, 9:42 am   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Transport to Warwickshire Exhibition Centre (NVCF)

Hi. I hope to attend the N.V.C.F at Warwickshire Exhibition Centre on May 7th, hopefully trains from Leeds will get me there in good time. Is there a good bus connection service from Leamington Spa rail station to the Exhibition Centre on Sundays?
Best regards
Mike
Old 23rd Apr 2006, 10:26 am   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Transport to Warwickshire Exhibition Centre

There will be a shuttle bus from Leamington Spa station to the hall, but I don't know the details yet. I'll see what I can find out....

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 23rd Apr 2006, 12:14 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar
Hi. I hope to attend the N.V.C.F at Warwickshire Exhibition Centre on May 7th, hopefully trains from Leeds will get me there in good time. Is there a good bus connection service from Leamington Spa rail station to the Exhibition Centre on Sundays?
Best regards
Mike
Mike, be sure to check the trains carefully as there has been a lot of engineering work and line blockades north of Leamington recently.

Best regards, Paul
Old 25th Apr 2006, 11:47 am   #4
murphymad
Heptode

Hi All,

The NVCF Managment are supplying a shuttle bus between Leamington Spa Railway station and the Warwickshire exhibition centre.

This is in the form of a 24 seater bus, so no problem with space.

The timetable I have for this is as follows:

(08:00 - 12:00)

STATION to NVCF 08:00 08:30 09:00 09:30 10:00 10:30 11:00 11:30

NVCF to STATION 08:15 08:45 09:15 09:45 10:15 10:45 11:15 11:45

There will be a gap of no shuttle bus from 12:00 to 14:00

(14:00 - 16:30)

NVCF to STATION 14:00 14:30 15:00 15:30 16:10 (last bus)

STATION to NVCF 14:15 14:45 15:15 15:45 (last bus)

The journey takes just a few mins in either direction and the bus will then wait for the next quarter of an hour marker before moving off at each point.

The bus will have a notice in the front window saying "NVCF" and should be completely obvious, it should also be in an obvious place at the station.

The driver will be making a count of people on every journey which will be handed back to us at the end of the day, and unless this service is used to a reasonable extent it may well not be laid on in the future.

Can I also remind visitors that NO trolleys of any description are allowed to be used in the hall whilst the public are inside.
This is a very strict Health and Safety issue regulated by the Venue so unless you are a stall holder using them to load and unload at the appropriate time, do not bring one with you or use one on the day.

Mike...

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 27th Apr 2006 at 5:41 pm. Reason: Corrected last bus time
Old 25th Apr 2006, 7:23 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Thanks Mike. I have just added that info to the NVCF website.

Paul Stenning
Old 26th Apr 2006, 3:17 pm   #6
Alvin
Heptode

Hmmmmm is this the exhibition centre's timetable? The first train from London arrives at 9.58 so even if it's on time I dare say we'll see the bus sail into the distance as we emerge from the station and have to wait nearly half an hour for the next one or jump in a cab - anyone else palnning to be on that train?

Mike, guess you mean 1610 for the last bus back to the station??

Alvin
Old 26th Apr 2006, 3:21 pm   #7
Alvin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphymad
Can I also remind visitors that NO trolleys of any description are allowed to be used in the hall whilst the public are inside
I assume my old git's shopping trolley will be ok??

Alvin
Old 27th Apr 2006, 12:33 pm   #8
murphymad
Heptode

Hi Alvin, All,

No, not event shopping trolleys are to be used within the hall once the public have been let in at early entry time.

Sorry!

The Venue will inforce this with their own Security staff.
It appears to be the same everywhere now if you check on the conditions of the public liability insurance. And I have.

I know, this makes no realistic sense, but then most of what comes out of Brussells is the same, just look at the new wiring colours... and if someone was to trip over a trolley the insurance company would of course point to the relevant section and tell us where to go...

With reference to the bus timetable, I am sure the caoch driver will use a certain element of common sense here.
The timetable was given to us by the bus company as fitting with the times of the incoming trains.

Mike...
Old 27th Apr 2006, 12:35 pm   #9
murphymad
Heptode

Hi Alvin,

Yep your right the last bus from the Exhibition to the Railway station is scheduled for 16:10 and not 14:10 as I have put...

Silly Me.

The bus will abviously wait until everyone there has got on, and possibly a bit longer too...

Mike...
Old 27th Apr 2006, 1:04 pm   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Hi Alvin, All,

No, not event shopping trolleys are to be used within the hall once the public have been let in at early entry time.

Sorry!

The Venue will inforce this with their own Security staff.
It appears to be the same everywhere now if you check on the conditions of the public liability insurance. And I have.

I know, this makes no realistic sense, but then most of what comes out of Brussells is the same, just look at the new wiring colours... and if someone was to trip over a trolley the insurance company would of course point to the relevant section and tell us where to go...

Mike...
I accept that these are the rules set by the venue, but this could backfire if someone is injured as a result of an item being carried that would have been more safely transported using a trolley. It could also be argued that such rules may contravene the Disability Discrimination Act, especially if they were to be extended to trolleys used by the infirm as walking aids.
Old 27th Apr 2006, 5:43 pm   #11
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Yep your right the last bus from the Exhibition to the Railway station is scheduled for 16:10 and not 14:10 as I have put...
I have corrected that in the post above and on the website.

Paul Stenning
Old 27th Apr 2006, 5:53 pm   #12
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll
I accept that these are the rules set by the venue, but this could backfire if someone is injured as a result of an item being carried that would have been more safely transported using a trolley. It could also be argued that such rules may contravene the Disability Discrimination Act, especially if they were to be extended to trolleys used by the infirm as walking aids.
That's a whole different subject, that we don't want to get into here.

The BVWS committee have to follow the rules laid down by the venue. I am sure assistance will be available to those who need it to enable them to get their purchases to their cars without injury etc.

Anyone with specific concerns regarding their own circumstances should speak to one of the organisers or committee members on the day. I am sure we would all be willing to assist where necessary.

One option may be to leave your purchases with the stallholders until late in the day, then bring your car close to the entrance and arrange for assistance with collecting and loading.

I think anyone with common sense could distinguish between a walking aid and a trolley. The primary purpose of a trolley is to move things whereas the primary purpose of a walking aid is to assist someone with their own mobility.

Paul Stenning
Old 28th Apr 2006, 11:04 am   #13
Alvin
Heptode

I just phoned the exhibition centre and spoke to Avril Spence who said wheelchairs and pushchairs are allowed but was rather thrown by my 2-wheel shopping trolley as it was a question never asked before.

She was sympathetic to my plight of needing the trolley to get things home as I'm not allowed to drive due to my disability but although she thought technically no she reckoned it'd be ok adding if it was considered a hazard I could leave it behind the cash desk or in the first aid room - there isn't a cloakroom facility to check things in.

Alvin
Old 5th May 2006, 6:45 pm   #14
telstar
Octode

Hi. I have checked my rail connection times from Leeds to Leamington (via one change at Manchester). It is not too bad at all, hopefully I will get to Leamington at 10.58 - I hope that I do not miss the 11am bus to the venue, as I do not want to be stuck for 30minutes or more for the next bus!
Regards
Mike
Old 5th May 2006, 7:12 pm   #15
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Thinking about all those coming by public transport, this seems like the right place to arrange lifts and car sharing. I'm sure many of us would be willing to offer a lift ar share a car and split the petrol cost.

I'm willing, but not really able, to offer from north London. Partly because I'm arriving before 0730 to help on the VIntage TV display and partly because I've got a pretty full car load of stuff to bring.
Old 5th May 2006, 8:35 pm   #16
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

If anyone wants a spare seat and can find their way to near M62 J26 on Sunday 8:00 am, you will be transported to the NVCF in the comfort of my DS.
There is probably too much stuff for any more seats!
Old 5th May 2006, 10:47 pm   #17
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar
Hi. I have checked my rail connection times from Leeds to Leamington (via one change at Manchester). It is not too bad at all, hopefully I will get to Leamington at 10.58 - I hope that I do not miss the 11am bus to the venue, as I do not want to be stuck for 30minutes or more for the next bus!
Regards
Mike
Well Mike Barker said "The bus will obviously wait until everyone there has got on, and possibly a bit longer too..." so you should be fine.

If any forum regulars are worried about the bus arrangements and being stuck at the station, please send me a PM and I'll let you have my mobile number. Then if a pickup time passes with no bus, you can call me and I'll try to find out what's happening.

Of course I don't know if my mobile will work in the building, but it worked OK in the NEC.

Paul Stenning
Old 6th May 2006, 11:55 am   #18
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Mike you have a PM. from John
Old 6th May 2006, 3:03 pm   #19
Richard
Heptode

Hi

Is there a charge for the shuttle bus?

My wife who is coming with me tomorrow, has suggested she may get bored looking at a load of old radios at the show, and so may pop off on the bus to do a spot of shopping! - I assume it can be used both ways?

Whilst I can not see how she could possibly get bored, I said I would check that this is OK.

Richard.
Old 6th May 2006, 3:49 pm   #20
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Is there a charge for the shuttle bus?
As far as I know it is free.

The cost of providing it will come out of the money the NVCF (hopefully) makes, which is why the committee will be monitoring the use to decide if it is viable to continue with it at future NVCFs.

Quote:
My wife who is coming with me tomorrow, has suggested she may get bored looking at a load of old radios at the show, and so may pop off on the bus to do a spot of shopping! - I assume it can be used both ways?
The times are above, so she can catch the next convenient one in whichever direction.

I don't know how convenient the station is for the shops though, or what the Sunday opening is like in Leamington Spa.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread