UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2008, 3:02 pm   #21
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Missing Sets?

i think i do have a service manual for this set the thorn 9800
Old 11th Mar 2008, 3:11 pm   #22
ScreenSaver
Retired Dormant Member

The 9800 is covered in the '79-'80 volume of R&TV Servicing, so it's probably safe to assume that they were available for at least a while following that date. Quite late in the game to be investing in a Delta if you were an unwary punter!

ScreenSaver
Old 11th Mar 2008, 5:20 pm   #23
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

Was the 9800 the last delta gun tv made or was it running in conjunction
9000 as a larger screen set untill the 9600 came along
Old 11th Mar 2008, 5:49 pm   #24
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec2110 View Post
Was the 9800 the last delta gun tv made or was it running in conjunction
9000 as a larger screen set untill the 9600 came along
I think the 9800 must have been made alongside the 9600 as by 1980 the TX10 would have been immenet so there would have been point in introducing it later. The thing about BRC is that they never seemed to really stop making anything, the 3500 dragged on for ages for example, they were still issuing service briefs for it well into the 80's if you look in the back of R+TV S. This was probably the fault of the rental market who probably appreciated "continuity" and didn't mind grim poverty spec sets if they were cheap enough.

What a choice you had in the early 80's! Either the 9800 with it's half wave thyristor power supply and Delta tube or the TX10 with all mod cons and a 30AX...
Old 11th Mar 2008, 6:19 pm   #25
ScreenSaver
Retired Dormant Member

Sticking with the subject of 'missing' sets, Thorn in particular....

How rare is anything fitted with the 4000 chassis these days? I know they were fairly rare in the UK originally, with most of the production destined for export. For that reason I don't remember ever seeing one first time around. I certainly don't hold out much hope of finding one now, although I'd certainly like to.

Then there's the 1580 portable. Seemed fairly abundant way back when, but now, it appears, is very scarce.

ScreenSaver
Old 11th Mar 2008, 8:40 pm   #26
TrevorM6TSE
Heptode

Question Re: Missing Sets?

Hi,

One that I can think of was in Rediffusion "kinloch" I think it was called. It was the main set in my house when I was a kid. We had it from new in 1975 and it finally went in favour of a 14" colour set in 1986.

I've been trying to find pictures/info ever since I can remember what it looked a bit like an Ultra, was 17" and a single standard 625 B/W set with I belive a hybrid chassis.

I guess being a rental set, it was probably something else badged!
Old 11th Mar 2008, 11:42 pm   #27
hans
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreenSaver View Post
I don't think so. My information says that the 9200 was an export version of a fairly straight 9000, but with UHF and VHF tuners (selectable for each button on the rear tuning pots), a nixie tube channel indicator, and was non-remote. Extra mains filtering was also incorporated to meet continental compliances. It also had 6 slider controls on the front for Volume, Brightness, Contrast, Colour, Tone and Tint (UK models had contast on rear and no tone or tint).

ScreenSaver
I had a look throgh my papers and found the diagram for the 9200. It was a rental set here i Norway. It had six push buttons and a nixie. All sets here have VHF and UHF tuners. Interesting design with one transistor driving both power and LOPtx

I found another diagram of another Thorn/Ferguson wich was relativly common here. The diagram is a photo copy and the model number is missing. It has a SMPS with an oscillator on a separate board. Is also has two diagnostic plug connections. Which model could this be?

Another Brittish set that we had a lot of was a Rank Ariel set with a Toshiba inline tube, eight preset toch tuner with a seven segment LED display and an ultra sonic remote with step function. I can'n remember the model number. (Anyone know?) These sets were priced to compete with none remote sets. I was not astonished with the picture quality of these sets, but the sets didn't need much service. The LOP stage is a bit unusal with two BU 208 in series and no power supply.

These sets were common in the beginning of the 90's. Now i suppose they are long gone. I havent even seen one these sets at the electronics waste collection site for years.
Old 12th Mar 2008, 9:16 am   #28
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

I think the rank set you mentioned was a z719
it mainly an 18" model with 2 line output transistors
i used to hate reparing them particulaly when they were dead
the were power supplies all over the place
the scan coil plug use to burn up very frequently
the T20 /22 were not that much better
the 18" model produced a very good sharp pictuer
just as good or better than a sony trinitron
the mechanical tuners were a pain when the blue plastic lugs use to break
not seen one of these sets for yrs
Old 12th Mar 2008, 10:13 am   #29
hans
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec2110 View Post
I think the rank set you mentioned was a z719
it mainly an 18" model with 2 line output transistors
i used to hate reparing them particulaly when they were dead
the were power supplies all over the place
the scan coil plug use to burn up very frequently
the T20 /22 were not that much better
the 18" model produced a very good sharp pictuer
just as good or better than a sony trinitron
the mechanical tuners were a pain when the blue plastic lugs use to break
not seen one of these sets for yrs
The sets on sale here were were 22" and 26". Can't remember any blue plastic lugs, but sets sold here had VHF and UHF tuners. I have never seen a 18" Rank. After this model we got the T23 which didn't sell much
Old 12th Mar 2008, 11:33 am   #30
ScreenSaver
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans9001
I had a look throgh my papers and found the diagram for the 9200. It was a rental set here i Norway. It had six push buttons and a nixie. All sets here have VHF and UHF tuners.
That would match exactly with my information.

Quote:
Interesting design with one transistor driving both power and LOPtx
That's the wonder (nightmare?) of SYCLOPS! SYncronous Converter & Line OutPut Stage

Quote:
I found another diagram of another Thorn/Ferguson wich was relativly common here. The diagram is a photo copy and the model number is missing. It has a SMPS with an oscillator on a separate board. Is also has two diagnostic plug connections. Which model could this be?
This is the 9600 chassis (9500 was the export version). The board I think you refer to is the PC891 SYCLOPS control board, with start-up oscillator, comparator, latch and regenerative trip. The two diagnostic connectors , TSA and TSB, bring out multiple useful test points into grouped locations.

ScreenSaver

Last edited by ScreenSaver; 12th Mar 2008 at 11:49 am.
Old 12th Mar 2008, 11:53 am   #31
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytrev View Post
Hi,

One that I can think of was in Rediffusion "kinloch" I think it was called. It was the main set in my house when I was a kid. We had it from new in 1975 and it finally went in favour of a 14" colour set in 1986.
Hi, this set used the very reliable Rediffusion MK13 chassis. A well built set, very easy to service, used two valves PL504 and PY88. Cheers, Malc.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 12th Mar 2008 at 12:33 pm. Reason: fixed quote
Old 12th Mar 2008, 1:38 pm   #32
TrevorM6TSE
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALC SCOTT View Post
Hi, this set used the very reliable Rediffusion MK13 chassis. A well built set, very easy to service, used two valves PL504 and PY88. Cheers, Malc.
That sounds like it! Do you know who actually made it? I can remember the glow of valves in the back as a little kid. I've tried googling the name etc for pictures, but to this day I've never found any information on it.
Old 12th Mar 2008, 3:29 pm   #33
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Hi, these sets were made by Rediffusion at their Rochdale factory. They were intended for the rental market but customers could by them. I think the model no is MU2030. Cheers, Malc.
Old 12th Mar 2008, 5:34 pm   #34
tellyman
Retired Dormant Member

Ah the good old mk13 chassis. This set was used as my trade test set when I applied for a job with Rediffusion SW ltd back in 1974. A very nice hybrid, easy to repair.
Old 12th Mar 2008, 10:02 pm   #35
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hello Studio263 & everyone

As promised I have taken some pictures of the Thorn TX set with the monitor styling that you mentioned earlier (in post #14). I must say that the bus mechanics at our Harrow Garage were a bit puzzled as to why I was taking pictures of their old and filthy telly As you can see it is still working quite well despite all the diesel and grease everywhere. The signal's a little bit noisy but where the bus garage is sited in Harrow, there's the pick of a very ghosty but strong Crystal Palace (London region), or slightly snowy but not ghosty Hannington (South region) which is what they've got. Unfortunately, the remote control has long since stopped working. I hope this is the television you're talking about.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5941.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	15768   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5942.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	15769   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5943.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	15770   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5944.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	15771   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5945.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	15772  

Old 12th Mar 2008, 10:14 pm   #36
Steve_P
Dekatron

Looks like a TX100 Chassis to me.

Muck might be a problem, but it's the only problem here. If this comes up, grab it, take it home and clean it. Excellent Sets!

Cheers,

Steve P.

Last edited by Steve_P; 12th Mar 2008 at 10:20 pm.
Old 12th Mar 2008, 10:23 pm   #37
ScreenSaver
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman1966 View Post
.... I hope this is the television you're talking about.
I'd be surprised.

Studio263 referred to 'AX' in post 14. I think he's right in that some of the late 9600's did carry this branding. However, I'm sure no 9000 series set would have ever carried 'TX' branding - that came later with the much heralded launches of the TX9 and TX10, which were very purposely differentiated from what had gone before. This set looks much later on in the TX history to me.

ScreenSaver

Whoops, Steve beat me to it
Old 12th Mar 2008, 10:40 pm   #38
Tazman1966
Nonode

Thanks SS and SP. I did think that might be the case from the prominent(?) TX branding but thought "you never know". Do you think that the TX100 are quite scarce now?
Old 12th Mar 2008, 10:42 pm   #39
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
Looks like a TX100 Chassis to me.
Indeed it is. It will be the remote only 22G2, or the 22G3 remote and teletext version. I think these sets might use Philips remote control codes. A later model, the 22H2/3 was presented in different cabinet and trim colours.
The text version had Fastext. The remote codes are the same as the ICC5 model 51K3.
Another range of excellent receivers that seem to have disappeared, the TX100 models that is , not the ICC5.

DFWB.
Old 12th Mar 2008, 10:43 pm   #40
Steve_P
Dekatron

Going to be I think. The TX10 is pretty scarce now as well. They just worked until the tube went soft and then were skipped in many cases.

Cheers,

Steve P.