UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2018, 11:27 am   #1
crusher19860138
Hexode

Default Bell & Howell Filmosound 655 16mm Projector

Hello, i have a problem with my projector, the plastic worm drive is split, preventing the correct operation of the machine, i have no experience of the repair of these projectors, i have electronic/mechanical knowledge, could someone point me in the right direction regarding repair and where i could possibly find a replacement worm drive?
Old 25th Aug 2018, 1:27 pm   #2
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Bell & Howell Filmosound 655 16mm Projector

Hi Crusher,
if the broken part is not readily available, could 3d Printing help?
Often these can reproduce complex shapes.
You may have a local service offering this.
Good Luck - Mike
Old 25th Aug 2018, 1:36 pm   #3
barrymagrec
Octode

https://van-eck.net/itable.php?lang=...0(model%20655Q)

I should think there would be plenty of other B & H spare places.
Old 1st Sep 2018, 9:23 am   #4
wd40addict
Octode

Several on eBay, search 'bell howell worm'. If your projector has still picture 'animation' and you want to preserve this functionality you'll need the 'animation' type.

Be warned changing the worm is a big job, it's at the heart of the mechanism and I don't think B&H expected it to be done.

The originals seem to split because they are a nylon style material moulded over aluminium. Over time differential expansion cracks the plastic.
Old 1st Sep 2018, 10:22 am   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

I’ve done a couple of those and it is a very messy job because of the grease that will need to be cleaned off. Just make sure all the parts are fitted exactly in the correct sequence and position or it won’t run. When completed wind the mech by hand to make sure it’s good before applying power.
Closed Thread