UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Nov 2006, 10:43 am   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Alternative venues for radio meetings

Hi. Has anyone considered GMEX in Manchester for future NVCF meetings ? It is a reasonably large building (ex- Manchester Central railway station), and
it is situated in a reasonably accessible place for rail, road, and air connections (especially for visitors & dealers from abroad). Leamington Spa was "ok", but I do not remember seeing that many stalls as on previous NVCF meetings. It wasn't all that easy with regards to travelling (although the private charter minibus was a really good idea (between the rail station & the event).
With regards to the cancelled Leeds venue at Seacroft, I would like to suggest Pudsey Civic Hall, situated between Leeds & Bradford. Again it is situated in a convenient & easy to get to location. They host various antique, transport, and other fairs there.
These are the only radio fairs that I frequent. I can not attend Harpenden and the Radiophile fairs due to transport problems, and I do not want to loose out on getting to the NVCF or Leeds events (and nor do others, either!).
Best regards
Mike
Old 5th Nov 2006, 11:06 am   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Alternative venues for radio meetings

NVCF venues have been discussed several times here before, and I think the discussions and committee responses are still in this section. In short, it is not likely to change and we certainly won't be using different venues each time.

I have asked the rest of the committee to respond to this post.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 5th Nov 2006, 5:25 pm   #3
murphymad
Heptode

Default Re: Alternative venues for radio meetings

Hi Mike, All,

G-Mex would be a nice option, but would also cause the fair to move to a Northerly location rather than a Midlands location.
We would not really be prepared to move it north because it would then de-centralise it for the whole country.
That's the first of many reasons really!
The cost of G-mex is unlikely to be anything short of the NEC or any other major exhibition complex who deal with much bigger fish than us, and so we would once again be putting the NVCF at financial risk. This is a risk that we are not prepared to take without full and clear assurances of being able to fill the venue and to be a great success. This simply is not assured so the NVCF will stay at the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre for the foreseeable future.
I must say that the feedback from both stallholders and visitors was almost entirely in favour of the new venue which gives us all the facilities that are needed for the NVCF and is run by a very flexible and capable management team.

The stall numbers at the last NVCF was actually better than the two previous NVCF's. The Warwickshire exhibition centre holds an adequate amount of stalls, and certainly more than the total we used at the NEC over the past few years.
I would like to think that the NVCF would grow to become much bigger, but seriously I do not see this happening for a while, simply because people do not have the spare cash in their back pockets that they did 5 years ago. Just look how the fuel bills have risen in the last couple of years!

The loss of the Leeds event is unfortunate, but it is a direct result of people not booking stalls or turning up on the day to support it. It has nothing to do with the venue and suggesting a different venue is OK but it requires an organiser, which comes before the venue.
John Marshman is organising a meeting in Sale Manchester on January 20th, any other takers for a Northern England organiser?

Mike...