UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2010, 2:16 pm   #1
af024
Octode

Default Y2K Problems - a Bit Late

Well after such a damp squib around midnight on the turn of the year 2000, I seem to have a late comer.

As you can see, my rather aging Casio wrist watch is showing the 54th day of the third month! This has only happened today. Never had any other problems to date.

Do you have any possible 'late' candidates?

Regards,

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Casio wristwatch showing 54th day of March.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	39720  
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 2:55 pm   #2
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Y2K Problems - a Bit Late

I'm still wondering at what point the press and politicians will notice the approaching 'January 2038' problem ('February 2176' for some systems). Wearing my previous hat as an IT consultant I did some Y2K work. I seem to recall I did find a few minor problems but nothing serious. It was always unlikely that aircraft would be dropping out of the sky, but some disruption was possible if no action had been taken. Industry having taken the necessary action, the press then afterwards wondered what all the fuss was about!

The craziest story I heard was that management in one establishment decided that all equipment should have a "Y2K compliant" sticker attached after testing. For complex equipment the testing went down to PCB level. One of my colleagues had great difficulty persuading a "sticker technician" that attaching a sticker (which were thin aluminium) to the copper side of a PDP-11 computer board might be counterproductive!
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 4:35 pm   #3
Station X

I can understand why 2048 might be a problem, but why 2038?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 5:01 pm   #4

Lets see what happens tomorrow. This could be a long thread.

Old 23rd Aug 2010, 5:25 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

Because all Unix-like operating systems (including Linux and Mac OS X) use a clock which counts seconds since midnight on 01 January 1970. 2147483647 seconds on from then -- the largest number that will fit in a 32-bit signed integer -- will be 03:14:07 on 19 January 2038.

At least we penguin-lovers have a chance of recompiling everything to use 64-bit signed integers for timestamps ..... and the Sun will burn out before 64-bit time runs out.
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 7:17 pm   #6
threeseven
Octode

A very old Sony digital watch that I still use ran out of years last year, it will now be perpetually 2009 ! Amazing it still works at all though, it was bought for me in 1980 !
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 7:29 pm   #7
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Just in case you are wondering, the Feb 2176 problem arise in those systems which use an unsigned 32-bit seconds count. Or is it Feb 2106? Maybe I remembered it wrong. Anyway, it won't affect me personally.
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 9:11 pm   #8
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeseven View Post
...Amazing it still works at all though, it was bought for me in 1980...
Thirty years and still working, eh? Not bad, considering there are no user-replaceable parts inside except the battery - surely that's not the original?

I wonder what's the oldest piece of electronic equipment still working without any attention? It's likely to be transistorised, of course, and for much transistor equipment there's no reason why it shouldn't soldier on almost indefinitely. But perhaps I should start another thread on this topic.

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 11:03 pm   #9
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

Older silicon gear yes... might work for a long time.

LCDs do decompose.

Modern VLSI suffers from voltage potential assisted migration of metal and doping, so it will fail with use.
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 11:41 pm   #10
threeseven
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeseven View Post
...Amazing it still works at all though, it was bought for me in 1980...
Thirty years and still working, eh? Not bad, considering there are no user-replaceable parts inside except the battery - surely that's not the original?

Phil
I wish ! Batteries last about 2 years and there was a period of about 2 or 3 years when I didn't use it but the display is still crisp and clear, even the display illumination still works and it's pretty accurate !

I will move to your new thread with a few other mature itmes I have that still work perfectly !
Old 27th Aug 2010, 10:09 pm   #11
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Some of the older telecomms stuff I worked on had funny last year dated. My solution was to suggest that the year was ignored ,and a year in past corresponding to order of days in present year was chosen . e.g- today is Friday 27th August - so perhaps change year to one that aligned -say 2004 -same day etc, but get kit to miss out display of year .
Old 27th Aug 2010, 10:34 pm   #12
Station X

2010 isn't a leap year, but 2004 was.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Aug 2010, 11:03 pm   #13
Herald1360
Dekatron

So it only works from March 1st. Not a problem now

It'll come unstuck at 29/2/2012 though.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread