UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Sep 2018, 7:36 pm   #21
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: Prepare to man the barricades

Ummm. Bought an answerphone (actually a phone handset with this facility) last month. I guess I'm behind the times but then I am into vintage technology...
Old 9th Sep 2018, 8:42 pm   #22
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Not at all,I have a ## call blocker with answer phone and I must say a great bit of kit.Bought in the last 2 years I add.New that is.

Also I have a much older answer phone that dials the callers number and tells you who called.(1571)
Old 10th Sep 2018, 12:01 am   #23
emeritus
Dekatron

As I mentioned on another thread today, Toolstation are presently offering a large range of Corby-branded halogen GLS bulbs for under £1 each.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 12:53 am   #24
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
I've always wondered about the effectiveness of those ceiling hung electric fires that point downwards from a height of several yards in factories and the like. I'm imagine most of the heat just went upwards!
Those heaters use mainly radiant heat, i.e. infra-red; which travels in straight lines until it is reflected, refracted or absorbed; and is only converted into heat where it is absorbed by something (or someone).

I suppose you could call it matter-heating as opposed to space-heating. When used in conjunction with motion detectors, they can be very efficient, heating literally only the people in a room.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 7:31 am   #25
Damien VK3RX
Tetrode

Halogen bulbs? Still a few available here, so best stock up also.

Thus far I've only found one brand of LED bulb in the conventional shape that don't cause RF interference somewhere in the spectrum.

Fax machines; still use one occasionally for documents containing personal details such as CC numbers (and it works fine via a phone port over our new VDSL network). Seems safer sending this stuff via fax machine to fax machine rather than scan and send via email.

New landline telephone has an inbuilt answering machine.

Cassette tape/player: just picked up a Sony TCM5000EV to play old radio recordings around here - without using the rarely used tape deck in the HiFi system.

Pagers? Heavily used by some branches of the emergency services here.

Not sure where the good Prof got all her info from
Closed Thread