UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2019, 3:46 pm   #1
Renagde
Retired Dormant Member

Default Tandberg Series 6000x

Is the series 6000x a good machine to work on? There's one i like the look of but it will probably need things sorting. What would I have to look out for so I don't get a project that's too costly? Worth a punt or too much for a n00bie like myself?
Old 7th Sep 2019, 9:35 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg Series 6000x

Depends on what you mean by "too much". The clutches and belts may need attention, but if the heads are not too worn (and they are quite tough) some modest refurbishment would give you a pretty good machine.
Old 7th Sep 2019, 10:31 pm   #3
bobbyball
Octode

These are a "solid state" follow-on from the very well regarded Series 6X which used valves. The same basic deck is used but with some "updating":

- The clutches use some sort of "wax crayon" type material which disintegrates unlike the felt used in the 6X machines. If it has "gone" it can be replaced with the likes of cork etc;

- The reel retainers are often broken as they are fragile: this is only an issue if the machine is wanted to be operated vertically;

- The "figure of 8" belt will probably need replacing and the idler wheel checking. These can, at some cost, be found on the 'net, as can the pinch roller. All bearings should be cleaned and re-lubricated - this can definitely make the deck run quieter;

- The "auto stop" sensor lever can jam, it is a rather feeble design but with a bit of TLC can be made to work OK. Some people disble this assembly but that is bodgery. Remember it only stops the motor (and it won't usually run unless the tape is threaded if everything is working) and the "joystick" control lever should always be set to the centre position when the machine is not in use to preserve the pinch roller;

- From an "electronics" point of view, the circuitry is quite reliable but can suffer from noisy transistors. Also the electrolytic capacitors, particularly the small value coupling/decoupling ones, will be "past their best" and may need replacing for optimum performance - these decks can sound really good and the heads usually last a long time.

It depends on how far you want to go...
Old 8th Sep 2019, 12:39 pm   #4
Renagde
Retired Dormant Member

Wow the lenght of knowledge on this forum is excellent. Many thanks. Think i will take the plunge and begin the learning. Thanks for the help, hopefully post some pictures of my progress. (haha probably by next year sometime )
Old 8th Sep 2019, 5:21 pm   #5
Michael Maurice

If you need to replace the clutches, I’ve found 4mm Cork to be a good substitute, or you could experiment with 4mm rubber sheet, though it may not slip enough to work.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 8th Sep 2019, 8:53 pm   #6
ricard
Octode

There is also a supplier in Norway that offers replacement clutches which I have found to work well, as well as pinch roller refurbishment of excellent quality.
Old 8th Sep 2019, 11:23 pm   #7
Michael Maurice

Ricard: Can you give us his details please?

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 9th Sep 2019, 10:11 am   #8
ricard
Octode

Sure, sorry, wasn't completely sure if it was ok to post an external for-sale reference.

His name is Lasse Hovde and he has a small ad on the Norwegian Radio Historical Society's for-sale page:

http://www.nrhf.no/kjopsalg/repdeler.php

His email is lasse72@frisurf.no .

I don't have any connection with him other than a satisfied customer. (We did meet briefly in Oslo when I was there on vacation this summer however).
Closed Thread