UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2012, 9:03 am   #1
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Sound and Sounds Good

Wrong section, wrong forum maybe, but here goes...

I spent parts of my youth listening to a programme on BBC Radio London called "Sounds Good". This went out monthly and was aimed at hi-fi enthusiasts. Amongst the seemingly eternal complaints about dealers there were also words of wisdom from the likes of Peter Walker and Angus McKenzie. I recorded several of these but missed several more. Anybody got some tapes? This is a personal thing, incidentally - it's part of my past and that of a participant I've recently met, and it would please me to gather what I can of it before it drifts out of reach.

"Sound" was a similar programme from a decade earlier, on Network Three (!). I have one of these and, judging by some of the forthright opinions expressed, other editions would probably be worth saving, too.
Old 22nd May 2012, 9:23 am   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Sound and Sounds Good

I also fondly remember "Sounds Good". Peter Bastin's "How to make a tape recorder" was a wonderful humorous item amongst all the good solid stuff from Mackenzie et al.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:25 am   #3
camtechman
Nonode

I was interviewed on the "Sounds Good" show, back in the mid 1970's.

I worked for an electronics constuction magazine: E.T.I and one issue featured a "Compander" (sound compressor/expander) which the presenter of the "Sounds Good" show had read and wanted to know more about how we designed & built it, as well as the technical details.

It was a lavish event, they even gave me a cup of BBC coffee....YUK!
Old 22nd May 2012, 3:42 pm   #4
soundhog
Retired Dormant Member

I've got (digital, dare I mention the word?) copies of five editions of Sound. Four are from what I assume to be the first series in 1959, these were taken from off-air recordings. There's a further one from 1962 (concentrating on the Radiophonic Workshop) which came from a BBC transcription disc. A very good listen they are, too.
Old 22nd May 2012, 5:46 pm   #5
Aub
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
I was interviewed on the "Sounds Good" show, back in the mid 1970's.

I worked for an electronics constuction magazine: E.T.I and one issue featured a "Compander" (sound compressor/expander) which the presenter of the "Sounds Good" show had read and wanted to know more about how we designed & built it, as well as the technical details.

It was a lavish event, they even gave me a cup of BBC coffee....YUK!
I used to love ETI. The 413 amplifier was one of the best things they ever did.
Old 23rd May 2012, 9:09 am   #6
Synchrodyne
Nonode

I recall listening to “Sounds Good” a few times in the 1970s when I was living in London. No recordings, though; I simply listened on my Beolit 707 which was all I had with me at the time. (Nice radio; acquired in 1977 and still going strong and has now seen service in 5 countries.)

There was one “Sounds Good” program with PJW as one of the guests where he suggested that with amplifiers, the stage had been reached where quite easily they could be made as good as wanted or needed except perhaps for noise in very low level circuits. I think this was referring to moving coil cartridge input stages, and might have been a bit before the Quad 44 control unit was introduced in 1979, this having MC input modules available whereas the Quad 33 did not.

Cheers,
Closed Thread