UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2005, 12:44 pm   #1
enryfox
Triode

Default Philips el3547 : manual and belt

Hi all,

i'm writing from italy and i'm new to this forum.
I have inherited this reel to reel recorder, model PHILIPS EL3547, which is in optimal condition, but the original belt tends to be a bit loose (it's only 43 years old ...). Do you have any idea where i could find a new spare belt ?

square section 2x2 mm, internal diameter 240 mm

I'm also looking for the manual either in digital or paper format.

thanks
Enrico
Old 25th Apr 2005, 12:55 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips el3547 : manual and belt

Hi Enrico, these can often be manufactured from "O" ring material, bought by the metre, cut to length and bonded together with superglue. Or you could shorten the belt for better tension and re-glue.

Ed
Old 25th Apr 2005, 1:06 pm   #3
enryfox
Triode

Hi,
thanks for your reply. Browsing previous post i have found in an online shop this similar belt:

O ring, round section 2 mm diamter 235 mm.

Do you think it could fit ? I had previous experience with O rings and, a part from being strong and resistent, they don't stretch very much. Also a round section belt on a motor square seat has less friction and could slipper...

Interesting the idea of gluing the belt, can you explain me a bit more (materials and/or where to go) or point me to some site explaing how to do it ?

thanks
Old 25th Apr 2005, 5:10 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Enrico, the round section belt may do as it should stay in the groove.
Normal superglue (cyanoacrilate) works well. If you visit a factory maintainance office you may find they have a kit for making O rings for sealing purposes. This is normally a small plactic Jig to hold the O ring material while it is cut squarely ( at right angles). There may also be a small piece of plastic so that the cut ends can be located together while the glue sets.
I believe RS the electronic parts distributor used to sell a kit like this

Ed
Closed Thread