UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2006, 8:41 pm   #1
PWH
Heptode

Default Teac A360 Noisy motor & drive belts

I have had this for about 25 years and dug it out the loft. It still sounds great for a cassette but the motor is really noisy and seems to get unreasonably hot. Is it missing some lubrication? Any suggestions

Also the drive belt for the tape transport light starts to slip after 1/2 hour

How do you get the thing apart to change it?
Old 22nd Aug 2006, 2:18 am   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Teac A360 Noisy motor & drive belts

The belt is changed from underneath. I think those types of AC motor did get hot but how hot is normal in your case I'm not sure. Are you sure it's the motor that's making the noise? It should spin freely by hand.

Changing the main flat belt shouldnt be a drama. Undo the two screws on the main board closest to the centre and swing it up out of the way. Take the screws out of the metal plate over the flywheel and from memory it's not hard to remove and replace the belt and then the plate.
I dont live in the UK but I'm sure someone else can tell you of a supplier of generic belts. You need to measure the old one and then order one somewhat smaller to compensate for stretching.
I like this Teac model. Very solidly built.
Tim
Old 24th Aug 2006, 6:30 pm   #3
PWH
Heptode

Default Re: Teac A360 Noisy motor & drive belts

Thanks for that I'll give it a go, If it isn't the motor making a noise what do you think it could be?

And yes it is hot, even on the outside above the tape counter
Closed Thread