UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2006, 10:34 am   #1
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default schematic for Philips ER1500 reel to reel

Does anyone know where I can find this schematic? The machine was made in Australia but I guess would be similar to European and UK models of the time. Late 50's I guess. Typical Philips cast chassis. Three speeds, half track mono. It has all piano key operation with the three buttons to the right as speed selectors and doubling as the power switch.
Any help appreciated.
Tim
Old 10th Aug 2006, 1:22 pm   #2
Stewart
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: schematic for Philips ER1500 reel to reel

That model number you qoute doesn't match any European model numbers I know of....but, from your description it sounds as if it is (or is based on) an AG8108 or EL3542.

A photo might help confirm the connection - or do a net search of the model numbers I've given and see if they look all too familair!

I have the manuals for those so drop me a PM if they would help...
Old 10th Aug 2006, 3:18 pm   #3
TIMTAPE
Octode

Thanks Stewart,
I'll check those numbers and get back.
Tim
Old 11th Aug 2006, 1:39 am   #4
TIMTAPE
Octode

Stewart,
A Google search didnt come up with anything on those numbers. I looked up the Getreel site and in the main webpage it's same as the Philips in the picture on the left, right next to the Akai X-field upright model, if that makes sense.
If you could email me the schematic that would be great. I'm struggling with very low, distorted output and dont have much in the way of valve circuit info.
The machine is in otherwise excellent condition with original valves and still some life in the heads. I hope to be able to get it going and sounding like new.
Cheers Tim
Old 11th Aug 2006, 8:20 am   #5
roffe
Hexode

The one on the main page is probably a stereo EL3536.
http://www.soundtapewereld.nl/Bandre...3536index.html
Maybe you can find it here:
http://www.datastress.com/~mario/rad...es.php?group=e
Old 11th Aug 2006, 9:25 am   #6
TIMTAPE
Octode

Thanks Roffe,
It's mono and looks very close to the EL3542 as mentioned by Stewart.
Regards, Tim
Old 11th Aug 2006, 1:31 pm   #7
Stewart
Retired Dormant Member

Hmm - I think what you need is the manual for the AG8108. That's the two track version of the EL3542 but looks very similar - although most had the loudspeaker grille at the front offset to one side. Does it have a number of small rotary controls to the front like the Getreel one and the one in Roffe's link....or just two concentric larger controls on one side?

I'll dig out the manuals this evening and scan the cover pictures just to see if we can confirm the exact model that way. Meantime, send me a PM with your e-mail address!

I suspect the low output will be due to either low HT (failing EZ80 or PSU cap) or a leaky pitch covered capacitor in the amp disturbing the operating conditions. For advice on finding the fault you best start a new thread though.
Closed Thread