UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2014, 10:40 pm   #1
G4_Pete
Hexode

Default HRO AVC operation

Hi First post on the board. I could not find any info on the following so apologies for starting a new thread.

I have an HRO 5 to restore and another MX that works fine, using the MX that works I am trying to understand the reason the designer used the 2nd diode in V7 6B7 for the OFF AVC. I understand Rectifying the IF and generating the negative bias in the AVC ON position but I have monitored all the waveforms and voltages round this valve and unless someting is wrong I really cant see what the 2nd diode on Pin 5 does for the AVC OFF selection.

Can someone enlighten me before I tear my hair out!

Pete
Old 12th Feb 2014, 8:43 am   #2
Stockden
Heptode

Default Re: HRO AVC operation

Hi Pete,

According to the EMER (obtainable from the VMARS web site) the second diode is maintaining the mean grid bias voltage of the controlled valves "at about the same potential as that existing under no signal conditions with AVC on".

Hugh
Old 12th Feb 2014, 12:21 pm   #3
G4_Pete
Hexode

Thanks.

the ref manual I have is TM11-885 which redraws the AVC in detail and explains the operation but whilst my HRO MX AVC appears to work correctly as described I NEVER see any potential across the diode connected to the OFF side of the AVC, regardless of the gain, switch combinations I try. All the components appear to check out ok but the diode stays at cathode potential strapped by R14.

I have attached the diagram but I clearly must have missed something here as in my view the diode on the "OFF" circuit can only do anything if the end of R-14 marked " - " rises positive to the cathode, that would put the AVC controlled grids positive to V7 cathode.

However I measure this or draw it out it does not add up so I am clearly missing something here but I just cant figure it out. Can someone enlighten me please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HRO AVC.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	88988  
Old 12th Feb 2014, 2:27 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

I think the words "contact potential" are the significant ones here. The anode and cathode of the diode are of dissimilar metals so a contact potential (as in a thermocouple) exists between them. They are "connected" together by the fewish high energy electrons that escape from the cathode regardless of the lack of any positive voltage on the anode. The effect is that if the "load" between the anode and cathode is sufficiently high impedance, the anode will sit slightly negative wrt the cathode.

In the HRO, if both diodes are similar, with similar loads, they will both exhibit this effect to the same degree, but the AVC off diode will not be affected by signals. It's an elegant way to make the agc-off bias the same as the no signal agc-on bias which is itself not the same as if the diode weren't there.

(I think).
.........O..Chris....O
Old 12th Feb 2014, 7:50 pm   #5
G4_Pete
Hexode

Chris,
Thank you, following your comments I set up a 6SQ7 heater only and measured the signal diodes wrt to the cathode. Sure enough they drop negative to 0.6 Volts. Interestingly if you physically disconect the heater, that is hot valve with a 10 Meg DVM between the cathode and the signal diode anode only, you see the 0.6V drop off slowly. The hot valve is generating a voltage on its own, stand alone. The HRO manual AVC explanation now makes sense as I was certain it would eventually, as it was compiled by better valve brains than mine.

Thanks again, Pete.
Closed Thread