UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2014, 3:01 pm   #1
smirnisio
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help!How to replace an Electromagnetic speaker with a Pm one?

Hello ,
I recently owned a Rca radio in bad condition and without a speaker.

I have recapped it but the electromagnetic speaker and the output transformer is missing.I have read about changing the transformer with a filter choke or a resistor but I am a little bit confused about the real values I must put on or how to connect them.
The radio is RCA Q122 as you can see in the schematic. It has two 6f6 output tubes with a 10Kohm plate to plate load resistance.

I also have a spare output transistor that has primary resistance of 450 ohms and secondary 1.5 ohm. Can I use it somehow?
Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thank you in advance
Attached Files
File Type: pdf usa%5Frca%5Fq122%5Fq122x%5Fsch1%2Epdf.pdf (297.4 KB, 121 views)
Old 28th Jan 2014, 3:26 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Help!How to replace an Electromagnetic speaker with a Pm one?

For the output transformer - you need a standard "Push-pull" valve output transformer - have a look here: http://www.hammondmfg.com/1608A.htm I'm thinking the 1609A would do just fine.

The original speaker's field-coil is also the smoothing choke - the item marked as "FIELD" connected to the right of the 5Y3-GT rectifier tube. For this you need a 10-Henry choke - I'd suggest one rated at 100 milliamps or so. Have a look at

http://www.hammondmfg.com/153.htm where the "158M" looks like it would serve the purpose admirably.

Alternatively you can not use the choke [the circuit in the bottom right corner of the diagram shows how to use a non-field-coil speaker]
Old 30th Jan 2014, 5:44 pm   #3
smirnisio
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Help!How to replace an Electromagnetic speaker with a Pm one?

Thank you for your suggestions.
I will put a 5.6 K 10 watt ceramic resistor in the field place!
As for the output transformer I will search here in Greece a suitable substitute.
As you proposed me I should search for a Push Pull 10 Watt output transformer? But at the tube manual for the 6F6 the maximum power output goes up to 10 watt!

Closed Thread