UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2012, 2:16 pm   #1
saxmaniac
Heptode

Default DC to DC converter 6v to 12v

Does anybody know where to find one of these. It is needed for Walkman WM-D6c (the pukka one!) There is a Sony branded one in there which may have only been used in this model. Does anything else contain such a device?
Old 13th May 2012, 2:55 pm   #2
peteratnith
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: DC to DC converter 6v to 12v

Hi Sax, do you mean the one in the square metal can? I managed to open and repair one a while ago, a low value .22ohms? resistor was OC. A possible cause of this failure is using a non Sony mains PSU. Sony used negative centre plugs and no protection against rev polarity. Unfortunately doing his often damages the motor drive chip too. A cheap source of DC/DC converters is old PC network cards. They often use a device with an isolated output so its possible to connect the output in series with the input to add the two.

Peter
Old 13th May 2012, 7:43 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Sax, you could also build your own, there are "boost converters" (chips) listed by all the major semiconductor manufacturers.
I believe there may be some evaluation cards available through Farnell (Element 14)

Ed
Old 13th May 2012, 7:50 pm   #4
saxmaniac
Heptode

Thanks for replies, I dont think it is due to reverse polarity as there is no other fault on machine. I am going to try to get into the case & attempt repair, but I will look at these other possibilities if no good
Geoff
Closed Thread