UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2018, 12:08 pm   #1
boombox
Pentode

Default Repairing electromagnetic bell

I've got an old bell I'm trying to repair. Seems it used to be connected to a 4.5v battery. Dated expiry 1999!

Anyway, the coil seems to be sort of 'sprouting'. There is no continuity between the two rectangled terminals.

Is this viable to repair do you think?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imageedit_3_4894986018.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	157075  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 12:30 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Repairing electromagnetic bell

The two rectangled terminals are probably connected to the coils via the bell's interrupter contacts. If the contacts are dirty you won't see continuity. It shouldn't be too difficult to rewind one or both of the coils if necessary. They're wound with thick wire though, so are probably OK.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 12:33 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

First of all check for continuity between the right hand terminal in you photo and the pillar above and to the left of the other terminal that carries the fixed contact of the make-and-break. It's possible the problem is just dirty contacts on that pillar and the armature.

The coil could easily be rewound by hand. Many of us made electric bells from scratch when we were younger and wound the coils. It's not very critical. Just count the turns as you unwind it, use the same diamater wire and wind it on as neatly as you can, trying to get the same number of turns on. Oh, and wind the coil the same way as it orginally was.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 1:23 pm   #4
boombox
Pentode

Thanks both! And is it possible the two coils are connected by a tiny bit of wire with what looks like a shoe lace knot in the middle? I'll give this a go...
Old 9th Feb 2018, 4:32 pm   #5
Bookman
Hexode

I have a couple of these that I use in the hotel. 4.5V seems low and ought to be checked. Mine used to operate with the old 9V Transistor battery pack but I changed this to a rectified source I knocked up.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 9:37 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

4.5V was what the old 126 bell battery with screw terminals produced. Or three wet Leclanche cells.

A bit of serious cleaning and connection scraping will likely have it working (if not looking) as well as new.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread