UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2017, 2:46 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Handy homebrew coil calculator

I don't get the impression that many on the forum are into winding coils for simple homebrew radios, (crystal sets, simple TRF valve sets etc), but nevertheless, for those that are so minded, there's a neat little calculator which enables to you input the tuning capacitor value, the desired frequency coverage coil diameter and so on, and if will tell you the inductance needed, and the number of turns on the coil.

If you happen to have a coil to hand, know what its inductance is, and want it to resonate at a particular frequency, it will tell you what value of capacitor you will need.

Not meant for anything too complex, but a neat little tool for use as appropriate.

It was created by an American radio amateur, Dan Perersen, W7OIL, and the calculator is aptly named 'Professor Coyle'!

http://www.crystalradio.net/professo...coylecyl.shtml

Hope that might be of use to someone, or at least worth bookmarking.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 3:20 pm   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Handy homebrew coil calculator

That looks useful.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 8:06 pm   #3
Philips210
Nonode

That's a useful calculator. It even gives you the length of the wire required to wind a coil, quite a handy feature.

Symon.
Old 12th Dec 2017, 8:25 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Yes - nicely presented too.

Maybe I'll wind a test coil and see how close the actual inductance turns out to be as compared to the calculation (or not)!
Old 13th Dec 2017, 8:00 am   #5
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Morning David.

It looks to be a useful site and I enjoyed looking at the main web page with the lady on the work-bench.
Regards
Kevin.
Old 13th Dec 2017, 9:09 am   #6
MrBungle
Dekatron

Very useful tool and site. I've been making inductors like that for a while because it's cheaper, more convenient and they are more stable than ferrites and they don't shatter when you drop them. PVC water pipes from Wickes make nice coil formers. Interestingly, nice and high Q as well, not that I can measure it very well with my cruddy equipment.

The workbench pictures are indeed appreciated, only because they act as a reference to SWMBO that my corner perhaps is not as messy as it could be
Old 13th Dec 2017, 11:28 am   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
The workbench pictures are indeed appreciated, only because they act as a reference to SWMBO that my corner perhaps is not as messy as it could be
Best not let her see the one by Steve McDonald though, or we'd all have to shape up!

Yes, quite apart from the Coil Calculator, the main website is a mine of information, all nicely presented.
Old 13th Dec 2017, 7:17 pm   #8
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I read somewhere, quite probably on this forum, that glass makes an excellent former for coils and high Q is normally achievable.

Regards
Symon
Closed Thread