UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Feb 2018, 1:02 pm   #1
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default ILP 6C205 Toroidal Transformer

I got a couple of ILP toroidal transformers this morning (well, they were very cheap). The only indentification on them is the type number 6C205.

There's a black and a white wire coming out one side and some coloured wires coming out the other. I assume the first lot are the primary, and that it's wound for 230V mains. But before I power them up with a lamp limiter and measure the secondary voltages, does anyone have any information (connections, voltages, VA rating, etc) on them?
Old 8th Feb 2018, 1:09 pm   #2
Bobsound
Tetrode

Default Re: ILP 6C205 Toroidal Transformer

You could try contacting ILP:-

http://www.ilpelectronics.com/

ilp@btinternet.com

Last edited by Station X; 8th Feb 2018 at 1:10 pm. Reason: No need to disguise a company email address.
Old 8th Feb 2018, 1:10 pm   #3
Vicboduk
Hexode

I'd be a little wary of the Black and White wires - US standard for live and neutral.
So they may be 120v primary.

Vic

Edit; This site http://www.transelectro.com/index.as...oidal/standard has data on physical size which may guide you on approximate VA rating.

Last edited by Vicboduk; 8th Feb 2018 at 1:24 pm.
Old 8th Feb 2018, 11:51 pm   #4
joebog1
Banned

I agree with Vicboduk!! Also when I make, or have made for me, toroidal transformers I sometimes specify, for instance, a 300 watt core and overwind it to only run at 1 Tesla, so the end product is rated at 180 VA. In other words, it changes the flux density.

I do this specifically with toroids for test equipment and pre amplifiers to reduce external fields, although I always use an external flux band to this end.

Regardless, ILP make very nice transformers.

Best regards. Joe.
Old 9th Apr 2018, 7:46 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I've done a few tests on these today, and I am pretty sure they are not for mains at any common voltage.

There are 6 separate windings. One to the pair on its own, the other 5 to 5 pairs of wires in the 10 wire bundle. All windings have a DC resistance of less than 1 ohm.

Needless to say applying mains to the pair on its own with a lamp limiter results in a brightly glowing lamp.

I do wonder what these transformers are for. Not high frequency, so not an SMPSU
part (or RF, or anything like that). Not mains. Audio output?
Old 9th Apr 2018, 8:12 pm   #6
barrymagrec
Octode

Quad 99 FM and CD use a bussed power system from the 99 pre so use mains type transformers with 30 - 0 - 30 ish primaries.
Old 9th Apr 2018, 10:08 pm   #7
turretslug
Dekatron

Perhaps for a push-pull LV inverter/converter, with some of the windings being for feedback purposes? Various conceivable possibilities of a requirement to go from 12V to 24, 48 etc. or vice-versa perhaps, I'm sure at one point I had one or two Avbel-Lindberg toroids for 24 to 36VDC converters.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 12:00 am   #8
Refugee
Dekatron

Would it not be two tapped 90 to 120 or so volt windings with a single secondary.
Try them in series on the lamp limiter and see what happens.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 12:22 am   #9
joebog1
Banned

Refugee has a very good idea. "MOST" toroid transformers made recently follow the convention of
Brown - Orange 120 volts ( brown = start, orange = finish )
Black - White 120 volts (black = start, white = finish)

There may possibly be a green, or green yellow as well which wont connect to any other wires. It will be the electrostatic screen between primary and secondary.

DC winding resistances on toroids can also be confusing!! A very high flux transformer may only have a winding resistance of an ohm or two, yet will supply 100 watts or more, whereas more conventional EI transformers we "expect" to see something in the vicinity of 8 - 15 ohms. All the above may not have any relevance to your transformers however. ALSO, I am assuming that these are mains transformers.

Joe
Old 10th Apr 2018, 5:05 am   #10
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The 10 wire side of this transformer has the wires of the obvious 10 colours and they are paired as follows :

black-brown
red-orange
yellow-green
blue-violet
grey-white.

5 separate windings, no taps. And then the black-white winding on the other side. No taps on any winding.

Given that the lamp limiter lit very brightly on the black-white winding, I am sure that was not designed to go across the mains.

I may try feeding a few volts AC across that winding and see what I measure on the other wires.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 7:05 am   #11
Radio Wrangler

It could be something very peculiar.

Mainstream toroids are somewhat formulaic. The manufacturer has a range of core sizes and each one sets the VA rating. Knowing the VA and knowing the standard mains voltages of their market means they can have a standard primary design for each core size. They can put the primaries on and then the heavy insulation layer and keep them in stock waiting for an order saying what secondary is needed. This breaches the principle of winding the highest current winding on the smallest diameter, but it's great for production logistics.

It isn't nice burying solder joints inside a transformer, so it's easier to bring either a loop of the wire out and back in again, with a single sleeve slipped over it, or else treat everything as separate windings.

So, if it's an ILP transformer, and it doesn't have their standard primaries it must be a full-custom job.

There's nothing else for it but to drive it gently on one winding and measure all the voltages to get the turns ratios.

One possibility could be a transformer for a 100v speaker distribution system. possibly to go in the amplifier, possibly to go in a speaker cabinet.

David
Old 10th Apr 2018, 7:12 am   #12
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

The five pairs arn't the primary are they, you know the sort that go to a mains voltage selector? Though this doesn't sound right with just a two wire secondary. It sounds iffy for an audio tfmr too.Have you a variac or you can use a sig gen at around 5v.

Andy.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 9:49 am   #13
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The 5 pairs are also very low resistance per winding. I really would expect more than a fraction of an ohm for a mains primary.

I wondered about an audio transformer, either for a 100V line or an output transformer. But 5 windings on one side sounds odd.

Somewhere I have an old 'labpack' power supply that gives out 0-20-odd volts AC in 0.2V steps (it's basically a tapped transformer). I can use that to put a couple of volts onto one winding and see what I get out. Safer than (just) a variac as the output is isolated from the mains.
Closed Thread