UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2018, 4:44 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Possible Army Comms Truck?

I've come across a large model of this in a high end "antiques emporium".
It appears to be die cast metal and is definetely not a dinky toy-possibly 15-18" long and 6-8" high. It's in Olive Green. There is a four wheel cab and a rounded large articulated section [30-40' in length full size] which is not at all square. This would "drop" on to the rear section of the motive unit. The cab is pretty standard and both items are painted olive green. There is a round red and yellow flash on each section. The overall look is reminiscent of perhaps a forties/fifties delivery truck [Post/Office/Railway?] or even an early model BBC OB Van

The Cab has 38'96-C marked in yellow on the drivers door and the main body, coupled to the rear, is designated [also in yellow] ARMY CONTROL VEHICLE underneath it's marked BK 517. S41/36.

I thought it was worth asking if this description rings a bell with anyone.
I've no direct evidence that it is anything to do with radio communication but it did seem to be a strong possibility. Any thoughts from the panel

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 25th Jan 2018 at 4:52 pm.
Old 25th Jan 2018, 4:48 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Possible Army Comms Truck?

This one presumably;-

https://www.vectis.co.uk/triang-uk-m...vehicle_626616

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 10:56 am   #3
camallison
Heptode

It fetched £320 at that auction. Vectis are about 5 miles away from me and I sometimes attend an auction out of interest. Mint condition "toys" sometimes go for eye watering prices.

Colin

Last edited by camallison; 26th Jan 2018 at 10:57 am. Reason: Spolling!
Old 26th Jan 2018, 3:13 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Thanks Graham/Colin it didn't occur to me to check the collector sites for some reason. I was focussed on not having seen one before and the date of operation. Do the Radar dishes place it as later than WW? My first thought was thta it might be at home in the eponymous Wireless For The Warrior series of tomes! It is a large item [the model] but even so, pretty expensive. The one I spotted is located near Rammy. I think it was [only] £275. I can give out the location if anyone is interested.

Dave
Old 26th Jan 2018, 3:57 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

If it helps to date it, the truck-part is a Bedford RL, which was the standard Army light/medium truck produced from 1953 through to the end of the 1960s.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 5:25 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Presumably it portrays an actual army vehicle, but I've never seen anything similar. The design doesn't look very battle resilient.
Old 27th Jan 2018, 12:16 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Yes it was never having come across anything like it that really caught my attention Paul. I might ask on VMARS, they were really helpful to me with a 1132 RX circuit last year. Thanks for that Tanuki.

Dave

A bit off topic Colin but I went to a wedding near Skipton recently and smart young guy kept going on about Yarm. I thought that he meant that he lived somewhere abroad but eventually twigged that it was just up the road-lovely area anyway! Seemed to be a relatively rich part of the country so maybe that accounts for the auction price?

Last edited by dave walsh; 27th Jan 2018 at 12:22 pm.
Old 1st Feb 2018, 4:56 pm   #8
Testgear John
Tetrode

I was in the Army Technical Corps REME from 1966 to 1980 as a vehicle mechanic, and as correctly stated it is based on the shape of a Bedford R.L.
I never saw an articulated version as depicted by the model during that time.
Tels Radio repair vehicles were based on an elderly Commer in my day.

A Google search brought up two images of flatbed RL artics, I'm wondering if it was some one- off Civil Defence vehicle?

Last edited by Testgear John; 1st Feb 2018 at 5:06 pm.
Closed Thread