UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2021, 2:27 am   #41
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Default Re: HX108-2 AM radio kit problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Purling View Post
Can you actually get a better quality tuning capacitor & what values should be used?
I used one i had lying around to replace the original, It cleared up the scratching whilst tuning, Not sure of the exact value as i never measured it,
Old 17th Feb 2021, 12:23 pm   #42
Neil Purling
Nonode

How many pf is the OE one? I junked something three weeks ago. Never thought about grabbing the variable capacitor

Is the scratchiness down to bad connection to the moving vanes?
Old 5th Jun 2021, 4:25 pm   #43
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Recently decided to build another one of these kits just for something to do,, And yup i got the same oscillation on the lower end of the band, But after a VERY careful I.F & RF alignment using a signal generator the oscillation has gone. Result is a decent little radio with good sensitivity.

So the problem is caused by misalignment. Takes quite a bit of fine tuning to get them spot on, But when its done they work well.