UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 18th Mar 2024, 10:36 pm   #1
Bill
Pentode

Default Tek 585A

Following on from my thread " Tek575 with history" , I have today collected a 585A 'scope from the same source. It comes with 2 plug ins and 70+ valves, a bit of a beast. the plug ins are: 53/54L (fast rise calibrated pre-amp) and type W (high gain differential comparator). There is a type 81 adapter for these.
A quick look inside revealed a lot of dust , one or two replaced caps and a gone to air ECC88. This 'scope is really beyond my tech. abilities but I've downloaded the manual and I'm sure you good members will be able to answer my questions as and when they arise. I won't be doing much with it for the time being, too much else going on at the moment and I haven't finished the 575 curve tracer yet, though it is working .
Main thing is, 2 icons of technology have been saved from the skip!
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2024, 12:38 am   #2
knobtwiddler
Octode

Default Re: Tek 585A

As a classic Tek fan, I have to make do with a handful of the 7000 variety (all of which work, unlike my newer digital Tek which wasn't made in Beaverton). I'd love to get one of these, but can't see how I'd ever get time to restore it (I had a relative a while back and ended up giving it to a good home). A quick perusal suggests that the caps will need re-forming in the PSU: https://forum.tek.com/viewtopic.php?t=139013 Wise advice methinks.

For anyone interested, there is a tour here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzIbfQflJwM

The trace is exceptionally sharp. I am most envious. Good luck with it!
knobtwiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2024, 8:25 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I have a 585A also it's a grand scope but not working at present, I'm re-winding the mains tfmr. If you need any valves, let me know. Well done for saving it. Lastly make sure these are somewhere warm in winter, humidity kills the mains tfmr's.

Andy.
Old 22nd Mar 2024, 4:40 pm   #4
6AL5W-Martin
Hexode

a great old Tek, very nice.
Here at home is the No15 made in heerenveen NL

Martin