UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 9th Feb 2024, 12:33 pm   #1
naujoks
Diode

Default Commodore 1084S repair question

I have a Commodore 1084S-P1, which increasingly was having picture and sound distortions, which I was able to fix with friendly pats on the back of the monitor. So I thought "cold solder joints!" and set up touching up some joints.
On reassembly, the picture would was somewhat fuzzy and had distorted colours. I noticed that by touching the push buttons at the back to select COMP/SVIDEO etc, the picture would change and flickers, so I gave the buttons a blast with contact spray. Since then, the picture has disappeared altoghether (I can get a perfect picture using the RGB port), wiggling the buttons makes it show a few coloured bars, but that's it.

So is it all down to the push buttons? Can I get replacements for them somewhere? I'd like to bridge the contacts in the meantime, also to see if that actually fixes the picture, but the switches seems to have 6 contacts and I haven't been able to find a nice scan of a schematic for the 1084S-P1, so I have no idea which contacts to bridge. I don't use the COMP, only the chroma/luma SVIDEO.

Any advice is gratefully received!

Last edited by naujoks; 9th Feb 2024 at 12:57 pm.
naujoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2024, 3:27 pm   #2
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: Commodore 1084S repair question

If the switch is arranged as 2 rows of 3 pins making 6 pins in total, then it is a 2 pole change over type. The 2 pins nearest to the button and circuit board edge are 2 fixed poles and connect to the middle pair of pins when the switch button is outwardly positioned. When the switch button is pressed inwards, then the middle pair of pins make contact with the 2 pins away from the circuit board edge. They disconnect from the 2 pins nearest the circuit board edge.

With the power off it might be worth trying some more switch contact cleaner and operate the switch 10 to 20 presses. Then let the cleaner dry off before powering up the monitor again.

Dave
Old 9th Feb 2024, 5:04 pm   #3
naujoks
Diode

Default Re: Commodore 1084S repair question

While poking around in the monitor I since discovered by chance that one of the RCA sockets had a cracked solder pad. I fixed that and now the monitor is working again. Thanks for your advice though, that is interesting and good to know anyway!
naujoks is offline   Reply With Quote