UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2018, 12:34 am   #1
Brockie
Triode

Default Taylor Valve tester 45D - What to check?

Hi all,

Regularly on forums (in fact run one - Nothing to do with stuff this interesting though!). I'm an electronic engineer (allegedly), however on newer stuff than is featured on here, and being a bit of a fan of older equipment and Tech i have managed to pick up a Taylor 45D Valve tester (untested!) to aid me in my work. I have a small workshop which is a little cold to work in this time of year, however a slightly warmer "desk" in a heated outhouse adjacent to it where i can do a little work on slightly less messy stuff

I was wondering if you kind souls/Experts in this field could advise the best way of testing these units themselves (short of actually throwing a bunch of valves of differing valve types in - if there is such a way!) - I'd like to be able to ensure that when it arrives it is functioning as it should be, since i should have a couple of weeks from arrival to fire it back if it doesnt work properly!

I'm looking to get into the restoration of older Radio and TV equipment.. hence why i thought it would be nice to be able to get the skills now whilst i can... Have picked up a couple of the old favourites (Bush DAC90A's and Pye P75's) - yes i'm aware of the live chassis "issues"

Also if anyone has or could point me to the latest Valve data charts for this test set it would be appreciated - I seem to be able to find lots of info on the Taylor 45C, however markedly less on the 45D... which is a little worrying based upon the fact that it is both newer and has less "flexibility" with respect to sockets.

Any pointers/recommendations/advice accepted gratefully

Many thanks
Paul
Old 30th Nov 2018, 9:23 am   #2
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: Taylor Valve tester 45D - What to check?

I have one of these in an untested unknown state, so will be interested to read how you get on. For some reason the 45D seems to have a poor reputation, the only reason I can think of is that it was clearly 'value engineered' and seems a bit flimsy mechanically. I've always assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the circuit would have a lot in common with the 45C model.

Andy
Old 30th Nov 2018, 10:04 am   #3
Cobaltblue

This tester has featured many times on this forum and many restored and modified.

Just do a search for Taylor 45D

From a previous thread manual here

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/a...1&d=1310657880

Cheers

Mike T
Old 30th Nov 2018, 11:25 am   #4
Brockie
Triode

Hiya Mike,
Have already had a good search - no joy with any valve lists as far as I could see... however thanks for the link to the manual

Also, most I see are for the 45c - can’t find any mentioning modifications for the 45d... other than adaptors for additional sockets/capacities.

In fact what I am really after is exactly that... things that people have done to restore/repair/confirm functionality.

Thanks
Paul
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 9:44 pm   #5
Freya
Octode

You may find it surprising to use an AVO valve data book for this, it was in fact manufactured by AVO after they Acquired Taylors.
Old 5th Dec 2018, 11:07 pm   #6
Brockie
Triode

I believed the same, however it seems that there were some differences (as noticed via another thread on here)...

There is a specific book which i have managed to get hold of now which shows specific settings for the 45D...
Old 6th Dec 2018, 10:50 pm   #7
Brockie
Triode

Quick Q for those who have used one of these before (as i have previously mentioned here am a bit of a newbie)...and is probably most of you!

So able to happily set it all up, and have taken as a bit of a test a Mullard EF91 New from the box (still sealed with the Wrapping around it). Settings according to the book are...

6.3v heater, 250v Screen, 250v Anode, 2v Grid. selectors set to 412 361 500 000. It shows the Ia as 10mA and the Mutual Conductance as 7.6.

So - Valve in, Here's the question. The test selector has multiple different settings...

Rect 1
Rect 2
Diodes
Fil cont
Cath leak
gm 3 a/v
gm 15 a/v

From what i can tell looking at some online videos for the 45C, this would be set to gm 3 a/v, you then fire it up and leave the valve to warm up... (20-30 secs). needle starts to move up... and stops. (see attached)

ok. so what have i missed...

Please excuse the newbie... any pointers gratefully welcomed at this stage!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T45_1.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	174099  
Old 6th Dec 2018, 11:54 pm   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Hiya Mike,
Have already had a good search - no joy with any valve lists as far as I could see... however thanks for the link to the manual

Also, most I see are for the 45c - can’t find any mentioning modifications for the 45d... other than adaptors for additional sockets/capacities.

In fact what I am really after is exactly that... things that people have done to restore/repair/confirm functionality.

Thanks
Paul
I've made a range of adaptors for my 45D which plug into the Octal test socket.

The switch settings in the book cover a far more extensive range of valves than the limited number of sockets on the tester are capable of testing. Originally, adaptors were available as an accessory but of course can no longer be found. The thread, which explains how I made the adaptors, with a link to an earlier thread, is here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=148183

Hope that might be of interest Paul.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 5:48 pm   #9
davebms
Pentode

Quote:
From what i can tell looking at some online videos for the 45C, this would be set to gm 3 a/v, you then fire it up and leave the valve to warm up... (20-30 secs). needle starts to move up... and stops. (see attached)
hello all.. if it the same as 45c for tests, have you set pots A and B.
With tester on valve in warm up pot A moves needle to X on dial pot B turn until needle at zero hit test button... please check, as that is from memory, I think the D is the same to test.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 9:28 pm   #10
Brockie
Triode

Got it... Thank you davebms & David G4EBT for your help... think I'm up and running now
Old 8th Dec 2018, 8:23 am   #11
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

It's always best to turn controls A and B to zero before powering up the tester, that avoids the meter whacking over to full scale as the valve warms up, especially if the valve turns out to be dodgy. The "gm" switch should be set to the expected gm of the valve, which is printed in the most right hand column of the lists. If you set to a full scale of 3 and the valve has a gm of 3 or more you could whack the meter again and damage to the meter is to be avoided at all costs.

Cheers

Roger
Old 8th Dec 2018, 12:54 pm   #12
Brockie
Triode

Thanks Roger

Another Question... both "A" and "B" dials (probably where it hasnt been used in a long while) are a little jumpy and also the Push button "Meter Test" button is a little hit and miss... is there any safe way to clean these without damaging them? I was contemplating a little Super Servisol 10, however conscious of the fact that these are old and relatively fragile..

Cheers
Old 8th Dec 2018, 1:49 pm   #13
Freya
Octode

I don't think they will improve with cleaning, assuming yours has the wire wound type fitted. They get jumpy when the resistance wire gets shunted along the former slightly making small gaps.

the suggestion I made on with other posters is to fit a 2k multiturn in place of the original, you need a 2 watt rating with a 6mm shaft.
Old 8th Dec 2018, 3:46 pm   #14
Brockie
Triode

Yes definitely the wirewound type... and i can feel a large gap in the centre of the track.. They have got better over the last few days, however it seems they have improved about as much as they are going to now, and still aren't great...

Thanks for the info .. the biggest problem is finding one with a 6mm or below mount... May end up modifying it a little to get it to fit the panel...
Old 8th Dec 2018, 4:24 pm   #15
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Another Question... both "A" and "B" dials (probably where it hasnt been used in a long while) are a little jumpy and also the Push button "Meter Test" button is a little hit and miss... is there any safe way to clean these without damaging them? I was contemplating a little Super Servisol 10, however conscious of the fact that these are old and relatively fragile..
Yes, my C model is the same and I've just lived with it, cleaning made no lasting improvement.

Bye

Roger
Old 8th Dec 2018, 6:39 pm   #16
karesz*
Heptode

Hi Brockie,
HTML Code:
the biggest problem is finding one with a 6mm or below mount..
I see it others , Bourns 3590 family is IE exactly that what you have to find and they are in 2W,10turns with 6mm shaft version on the market(exists between 200 Ohm--100Kohm) (eBay has it for ca$2 ) and -of course- Mouser for €10..15 too...
be luky with it, Karl

Last edited by karesz*; 8th Dec 2018 at 6:49 pm.
Old 8th Dec 2018, 11:18 pm   #17
sven_swe
Pentode

I just bought 2 of these for my Taylor 45C. Let's see how they are when they arrive, some lead time on these.
Old 10th Dec 2018, 10:14 pm   #18
Brockie
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by karesz* View Post
I see it others , Bourns 3590 family is IE exactly that what you have to find and they are in 2W,10turns with 6mm shaft version on the market(exists between 200 Ohm--100Kohm) (eBay has it for ca$2 ) and -of course- Mouser for €10..15 too...
Mouser seem genuine... Ebay seem like Chinese fakes from what i can tell..

Have ordered a couple from RS at #10 each plus VAT. Lets see how it goes

Many thanks for the heads up Freya & karesz*
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 9:27 pm   #19
Brockie
Triode

Hi All,
Just an update... New Pot's in and work like a charm.. much easier to get an accurate "zero" with the 10 turn pots than the older 3/4 turn ones..

Many thanks to all for their assistance!

Paul
Closed Thread