UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2012, 3:08 pm   #21
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: How to glue plastic together successfully?

With Araldite it is a trade-off between setting time and strength. For mending broken crockery I only use the slow setting stuff. It used to be recommended for this purpose, but the latest pack I got had a warning about not using it for items that would be used with foodstuffs.

When I first used it around 1960 [with the intention of insulating my Hornby Dublo 3 rail wheels to run on 2 rail as suggested in a model railway magazine: never completed as too much effort!] the setting time to handlability was stated to be 4 hours, and curing at higher temperatures was said to produce a stronger bond. By the 1970's it was down to 2 hours. Before the rapid setting types were introduced, in our lab we used to mix some up on a tobacco tin lid perched on top of a soldering iron. This made it nice and runny, allowing the air bubbles to come out, and considerably reducing the setting time. It was a matter of judgment as to how long to leave it heated: too long and it would set before you could use it.
Old 19th Jul 2012, 1:30 pm   #22

Quote:
I see Dichloromethane in a usable strength is now banned by the EU! (We used it extensively in the 1970s in medical plastics).
A few weeks ago I bought a bottle of EMA Plastic Weld (to fix my motorcycles screen) from a model shop, it is 100% Dichloromethane.

Old 19th Jul 2012, 2:10 pm   #23
brenellic2000
Octode

The ban by the EU on dichloromethane in paint stripper came into effect in 2011 and you have until Dec 2012 to buy existing stocks.

It appears the proposed ban for 'plastic welding' is still on hold... but I am sure it will follow. It is brilliant stuff and works on most plastics... but remember it is still nasty stuff!

Barry
Closed Thread