UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jul 2022, 12:41 pm   #1
line sync
Heptode

Default Solder iron with fume extraction

Can anyone recommend a soldering iron station with fume extraction ?
I`m thinking of the type that have a small metal tube attached to the iron which gets very close to the bit.
I know these things are expensive so would like to get some recommendations before i take the plunge.

Robin
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 3:12 pm   #2
knobtwiddler
Octode

Default Re: Solder iron with fume extraction

There are 2 Weller options that I know of (and use). Xytronic and other brands probably offer cheaper options, but I don't know them:

i) https://uk.farnell.com/weller/005291...kit/dp/2629155

This is a clip-on tube, typically used with Weller soldering pencil such as WSP80.

ii)Integral iron / tube. Weller make a 50W. There is one on Ebay now. I won't provide a link as that is not permitted, but it'll be easy to search for.

You'll need something like a WFE pump for the above. Filters are pricey.

Note that on-tip extraction is not a panacea. If you move iron around while you solder, fumes escape. I've used it for years and consider it better to have than not. Ideally, you'd have on-tip plus an extractor vent on the bench.
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 3:33 pm   #3
duncanlowe
Nonode

In my limited experience with them I found I didn't get on with on iron extraction, as the extraction tube was often in the way, and as said, it wasn't always as effective as you might expect. I guess it depends a lot on what you were working on. Although not a perfect solution either, I found bench extraction more useful, and relatively cheap. Again as stated, as well as the iron with the extract tube, you need the system to suck away and filter the fumes, and I've never seen a cheap one (and I have looked over the years).
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 5:47 pm   #4
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I have one of those bench ones that works fairly well.
Andrew, to go one better, has made his own using a sealed plastic crate under the bench containing a powerful extractor fan with a flexible inlet hose and outlet. This works well, isn't too noisy and the hose can be positioned close to the work.
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 9:32 pm   #5
line sync
Heptode

Thanks for the reply's so far guys.
Old 3rd Aug 2022, 12:48 am   #6
knobtwiddler
Octode

Funnily enough, I left the tube for my iron in a tupperware container of IPA overnight. When I started using it today, it was as clean as new. Cleanliness of the tube makes a heck of a difference. I don't recall seeing any fumes escape today. You'll know when the tube's getting deposit build up, as the hissing will be louder. I think the key is probably to do what I did with the tube every couple of weeks (depending on workload).

You will find that the attachment hampers you when soldering in tight spots - that's probably my biggest bugbear with the system. We also have Pace floor-mount extractors, with angle-poise suction cups. They rarely get used as they are hideously noisy. You want them in a separate room ideally.

All this stuff can be found at fractions of the original prices if you are patient on Ebay. The WFE is around £700 new. We have several and never paid more than £100 for any of them. One of them lasted for about 10 years (bearing went on pump - and part is £300).

Note that one variant of the Weller WFE needs a compressor to work. I got one just to pinch the filter off, such is the price of a new filter.

Any type of fume filter will need regular filter cleaning to be effective.
Old 3rd Aug 2022, 5:35 pm   #7
line sync
Heptode

We have a solder fume extractor unit under a bench at work with a flexible hose on the bench but as you say they are very noisy.
All our irons at work are weller and i know how good they are.
A long time ago i bought the fume extraction tube kit for the antex irons and then found out how expensive the pump unit was , so it was never used.
Just out of curiosity i`ve got a soldering gun pump that was just for de-soldering and wondered if this pump would work as fume extraction , it worked on a similar set up as fume extraction with a plastic tube going up to the iron and the element and bit had a hole up the middle to suck up the solder ?
I cant remember who made this but its very good quality and probably made in the 1970`s.

Robin
Old 3rd Aug 2022, 7:28 pm   #8
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I built my own "extractor" using a 4" bathroom extractor fan and a length of hose. It simply disperses the fumes around the room, but at least it stops the "concentrated fumes" going straight up my nose. I think that's OK for the limited amounts of time I spend soldering.

B
Old 4th Aug 2022, 12:20 pm   #9
knobtwiddler
Octode

The Weller WFE on-tip system is designed to run all day, and collect the particles into the filters (the initial filter needs cleaning often, but the barrel filter should last for years). I'm sure there are facilities where the WFE runs for 10+ hours a day (which will eventually wear out the bearing - which Weller will sell you for £300!!). It gets hot, which likely affects bearing life.

If you convert a desoldering pump, you'll need a foot-switch to turn it on / off. I don't think it will last long running all day (but you probably know that).
Closed Thread