UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Aug 2022, 8:49 pm   #21
Brendan Stewart
Triode

Default Re: Sonix76 Model JM-100

HI Chris,
Thank you for your input. As you can guess your potential cures are over my head. Being a simple soul I was hoping for a simple solution..more fool me eh!
That's a great idea concerning a help request.
Thank for being a solution thinking kinda guy..
Old 1st Aug 2022, 9:31 pm   #22
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Stewart View Post
Another query if I may... at the top of the circuit board in the first image, there are 2 inverted 'T' shapes that have remnants of solder but nothing connected. Past interference of something important removed??
The T shapes look like the symbol for a dipole aerial.

Are the two T shapes connected together by the track that goes to each one.

If they are not connected together I wonder if they are for connecting a 300 Ohm 2 wire Tee dipole FM aerial.

David
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 6:54 am   #23
Brendan Stewart
Triode

HI David,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes they are connected but only the left is used for a short FM aerial wire.
Looks like they have been individually soldered before at some point.
Would love to know the radio alarm's history. Would be quite revealing me thinks!!
Old 10th Aug 2022, 8:25 pm   #24
Brendan Stewart
Triode

***UPDATE***
So, I was resigned to this alarm clock radio being quiet forever but....the tuner movement started playing up again so, opened her up to apply a splodge or two of contact cleaner to the tuner wheel. Did this and worked a treat and here is where things changed. I noticed on the back of the vol slider a very small hole so thought 'why not drop some cleaner in there even though I had already done it by the font access'. Put her back together and plugged her in. turned radio on and started moving the slider like a man possessed!! Suddenly very strange LOUD noises started to appear! It howled at me and gave some serious deep feedback but then worked normally!! How bout that!? Hope it stays sorted and yep...it was a dodgy vol slider. Will no doubt have to replace in the future but at least I did not have to replace components! Phew!! Is this a common vintage radio fault I wonder?
Old 29th Aug 2022, 7:52 pm   #25
Brendan Stewart
Triode

**UPDATE PT 2***
Was in fact not the volume slider. A capacitor was slightly loose and when touched the volume returned to normal. Assumed needed re-soldering so..removed it to clean the board and turns out it only had oner pin!! So ordered a replacement, fitted replacement, now works beautifully!! The End.
PS Thanks for all your input folks.
Closed Thread