UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2022, 11:59 am   #1
Valvepower
Octode

Default Anyone remember Day-Call Component distribution aka Electrical Joe

Hello,

After recently speaking to a friend about the ole days (as one does) had me thinking… And does anyone remember a company called Day-Call Component distribution (DCD) Also known as ‘Electrical Joe’…?

I remember DCD ‘Electrical Joe’ popping by the factory in Southend in the second half of the 1970’s selling out the back of a van everything from solder, test meters to semiconductors etc. There was always something useful or interesting on the van. From memory he covered the ‘Anglian’ area of Essex, Cambridgeshire Suffolk, and Norfolk. Also from memory this was the first time I saw ‘Anglia’ Branded packs of resistors and capacitors. I still get parts from Anglia to this day!

My first Eagle test meter came off Joe’s van in 1979.

We used to buy 2SD424, BF257, 2N3440 and 2N5415 off Joes Van when we were working on the ‘hotted-up’ ETI/Maplin power amplifier circuit. We shoehorned a Baxandall Quasi complementary output stage using four 2SD424’s onto the ETI/Maplin power amplifier to get something like 150 Watts – honestly it wasn’t an exact science! I vaguely remember Joe saying the 2SD424's came via an audio company based in Cambridge

Regards
Terry
Closed Thread