UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2022, 5:03 pm   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye "Tulip" mic - how to get inside??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G4MDC View Post
just need a Pye logo button now by the look!
Yes. I live in vain hope of ever finding one! Logos and associated bits-of-trim seem to be both fragile and easily lost, though in times-past I do vaguely remember one of the Pye dealers' sales-people I bought Westminsters off had a small circular Pye lapel-pin that would be about the right size to fill the Tulip's hole.
Old 16th Oct 2022, 5:55 pm   #22
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

As a follow-up on this, earlier today I worked a station on 3.5Mhz SSB who commented on the smoothness and readability of my audio.

As they used to say in the ads. "You can Rely on Pye"
Old 16th Oct 2022, 7:06 pm   #23
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

In the 80s, Pye Telecom service depots had a marketing campaign of "Local and Best". The serious business of a pre marketing pep talk we had turned into a comedy when one engineer said " More like nearest and dearest"!
Btw, I found a blue and a brown tulip mic and think I may have a green one as well?
Rob
Old 26th Oct 2022, 4:58 pm   #24
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Hi gents, i wonder if i can ask your advice about my Tulip mic as there is a thread on here already didn't want to start another.
I have stripped mine down to it's component parts and unfortunately, 'It has been got-at', the wiring is in a mess around the PTT switch and 1 x red wire is floating in the breeze, it has a red mic piece but worst damage is that both of the tulip body pieces are damaged, 1 x half has a chip knocked out of it, t'other has the plastic collar that the locating pin push's into has broken off, that might araldite but it will have lost it's strength i believe. Chrome bits look like they will polish up ok.
Base will require the services of a rattle can i think, cleaned up but paint is marked a chipped in places.
I have taken a number of pics BUT being a thick ex rock not sure how to upload them for all to see and advise!
So has anybody got a source of spares, or should i make do with what i have got?
Snowy
Old 26th Oct 2022, 8:10 pm   #25
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Spares are unobtainable afaik.
30+ years ago, the brown plastic shell were the only parts available at a ridiculous price direct from Pye.
I would advise just keep looking, maybe even on ebay?
UKVRR is about the only place to maybe offer any help? But, G6Tanuki hasnt had any offers, afaik
Rob
Old 26th Oct 2022, 8:29 pm   #26
g0hze snowy
Hexode

well it's going to be down the araldite route and 'T' cutting to see if they are recoverable.
I will do the continuity test to the wires tomorrow
Old 27th Oct 2022, 6:09 pm   #27
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I have seen some where the metal joining piece has been drilled along its axis, tapped , and then suitable countersinked holes drilled in the two shell halves to allow them to be clamped using the countersinked screws used to mount electrical sockets to their back boxes.

Not 'original' but pragmatic

As to the wiring, the press switch is a changeover type. How this needs to be wired depends on what it connects to

Most post 1960 Pye gear used a simple ground to transmit approach. Earlier stuff needed a changeover switch. The later Pye
5 pin DIN connectors had audio on one pin, so you could get 'sidetone' if using a telephone style handset. Miswired microphones which ground the audio line can easily destroy the output stage IC on the likes of Motafones and Europas.
Old 27th Oct 2022, 6:55 pm   #28
g0hze snowy
Hexode

G6Tanuki, thank for your suggestion, i have tried the finger gluing stuff, nope that didn't have the strength, so next i mixed up some araldite and let that set, seems to be holding at the moment, i will not be using the mic, just for show, for now.
Old 27th Oct 2022, 8:29 pm   #29
Kentode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0hze snowy View Post
Hi gents, i wonder if i can ask your advice about my Tulip mic as there is a thread on here already didn't want to start another.
I have stripped mine down to it's component parts and unfortunately, 'It has been got-at',
I have taken a number of pics BUT being a thick ex rock not sure how to upload them for all to see and advise!
Snowy
Please do go the extra mile Snowy, and upload some pictures 'cos there are people here who are desperately trying not to damage or break the objects in their possession. For all you know, you might be the person who solves the Forty years old problem!

My mate's got one of these and I'm wanting to help but scared of bu**ering it up.

BVWS member
Old 28th Oct 2022, 11:32 am   #30
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Hi Ken, got some pics in my album but not sure (just yet) how to add them to these notes.
album called Pye Tulip Mic, cheers, snowy
Old 28th Oct 2022, 6:09 pm   #31
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Dismantling.
First, make sure the nut underneath is very tight on the chrome stem, taking care not to damage the chrome. Remove 1 of the clamp screws underneath, slacken the other and move the strap clear of the cable.
Grip the base and plastic body firmly and rotate a/cw to release the stem from the nut held just inside the plastic split body.
When undone, slide the base and stem down along the cable.
Then, slide the chrome cover down clear as well.
The difficult bit now is prising the two halves apart without damaging each edge of the plastic case halves.
I start at the bottom part which will be hidden by the chrome cover, so as to hide any damage.
The two halves are held together with a 1/4" round pin, held in place on each half with a split tubular spring clip. Similar to ones on radio knobs.
The tightness of fit needs to be overcome to separate the two halves.
Patience and care are needed to prevent unsightly damage to the visible plastic edges of the body by prising apart with unsuitable tools.
Once started, a strong thin piece of metal is best to insert to gradually prise the two halves apart.

When separated, assuming the Pye badge was originally in line with the switch, I mark the 3 visible flats of the nut, so that it will reassemble in the same position when the base and stem is screwed up tight. If these are visible and not been rotated during disassembly, this will still show the Pye badge in line with the switch.
If not, adjustment can be made by slackening the underside of base nut and rotating the base to correct position.
Before re-assembly, if it was very tight to separate, i use some emery paper to shave a little off each end of the pin and a little lubricant on re-assembly.
Rob
Old 30th Oct 2022, 6:11 pm   #32
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Some pics of one today. I used cloth around a wide screwdriver blade and a flat metal wedge to prise apart the two halves.
Snowy, I sent you an email.
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221030_093254.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	267182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221030_093956.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	267183  
Old 30th Oct 2022, 9:12 pm   #33
Kentode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0hze snowy View Post
Hi Ken, got some pics in my album but not sure (just yet) how to add them to these notes.
album called Pye Tulip Mic, cheers, snowy
Thanks Snowy, between you and Rob I've got all the info I need to progress.

BVWS member
Old 2nd Nov 2022, 2:01 pm   #34
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Robin, are you ok for a visit today? cant find your phone number, doh
Closed Thread