UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2022, 12:08 pm   #1
Trifocaltrev
Hexode

Default BVW&TM Garden Party 4th June.

When I was at the Table Top Sale last Sunday, Eileen asked me if I would put a post on the Forum reminding people of the above event.

If you intend to attend this event can you please contact Eileen and get your tickets well in advance as she needs to know how many to cater for in plenty of time.

She asked me to mention that if you just turn up on the day, there will not be any food available for you.

Regards
Trevor.
Old 8th May 2022, 8:04 pm   #2
Ian B
Hexode

Default Re: BVW&TM Garden Party 4th June.

This (usually enjoyable ) event seems almost to have slipped under the radar. I have spoken to others who agree that holding it on the same weekend as Her Maj's Platinum Jubilee celebrations may mean that a lot of people have already made other arrangements and so be unable to attend. Would it be possible to change the date?

Ian Blackbourn
Old 8th May 2022, 8:36 pm   #3
Ken G3XSJ
Triode

I agree with Ian. My neighbours are holding a Platinum Jubilee Party on the same date as the BVTWM garden party so we won't be coming along. But would reconsider if the date was changed.

Last edited by Ken G3XSJ; 8th May 2022 at 8:38 pm. Reason: To enlarge font.
Old 12th May 2022, 7:58 pm   #4
Pamphonica
Nonode

But I am certainly hoping to be there! It is a lovely tradition.
Old 12th May 2022, 9:46 pm   #5
murphymad
Heptode

The British Vintage Wireless & Television Museum Committee had set this date and booked the 'New Foxtrot Serenaders' for the first Garden party in several years back in 2021 when nothing at all had been said or publicised in respect to a Platinum Jubillee Weekend by the UK government.

It is MOST unfortunate but really too late to consider changing the date now.
There are also quite a few bookings that have already been sent in.

If the Jubillee weekend had been publicised last year we would naturally of avoided it.

The museum garden party is going to be an excellent event with all of the old favourites and more. Live music in the form of a 1920's Dance band playing period music, plenty of food and drink and many period exhibits running throughout the day.

We do hope that you will be able to make it and enjoy this very special day.

There will also be a nod to the Queen's Jubilee !

Mike...
Old 30th May 2022, 8:57 pm   #6
Pamphonica
Nonode

A number of people have asked me the timings for visitors to the Garden Party. Can someone confirm timings here, for clarity?
(Please note, pre-booked tickets only, via Eileen)
thanks
-Jeremy
Old 30th May 2022, 11:03 pm   #7
winston_1
Hexode

I asked Eileen when I booked my ticket and she said come around noon.
Old 31st May 2022, 12:13 am   #8
murphymad
Heptode

Hello Everyone,

Not long now until the 'Event of the Year' at the British Vintage Wireless & Television museum.

This coming Saturday will be the first Garden Party for a few years.
We have ordered the good weather and I am sure that Gerry will be looking down upon us!

The event starts a 12:00 with reception drinks. There will be plenty of music from vintage equipment and a large amount of the television displays will be running throughout the day.

At 1:30 the Live Dance Band music, courtesy of 'The New Foxtrot Serenaders' performing all kinds of radio related music from the 1920's, 30's, 40's (in wartime mode) etc. will commence.

Lunch is included in the price of your ticket and it has never been known that anyone went away hungry!

A sales area will be running selling all sorts of radio and TV equipment that is surplus to the museum.

Laid out across three gardens there is plenty of space for everyone.

The Radio and TV curators will be hard at work showing people around the museum buildings and they will happily help with any technical questions.

Parking in Rosendale Road is free and there are usually plenty of spaces plus there are the surrounding roads all of which have no restrictions.

If you stay outside of the South Circular (A205) you will not be in the ULEZ zone.

It's going to be a FABULOUS day out, NOT to be missed !!

A booking form is included in this post.

PLEASE BOOK AHEAD OF TIME ! All of the catering is based upon the booking numbers. You can call the museum on 020 8670 3667 and ask for Eileen.

Mike...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New-Foxtrot-Serenaders-Roller-400x267.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	258113  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BVWTM Garden Party 2022.pdf (230.1 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by murphymad; 31st May 2022 at 12:34 am.
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 11:18 pm   #9
murphymad
Heptode

Not long now!

We hope to se many of you on the day.

Mike...
Old 4th Jun 2022, 7:48 pm   #10
Ian B
Hexode

The Garden Party was blessed with fine weather, good food, and excellent musical entertainment. What more could you wish for ? - more attendees mainly!
The clash of dates with Jubilee events was unfortunate, but as Mike has explained, not the Museum committee's fault.
Although I encountered several showers on the way south nothing dampened the occasion. Even traffic was lighter than I've known in the past. And it was great to see some of the old familiar faces and catch up.

My resolve not to buy any more radios from the Museum sale was sorely tested, but I did get the AVO valve tester with two (different) valve-socket panels. (It's not a radio, so that's perfectly ok!)

Grateful thanks to all those who put in so much effort (especially Eileen and her family) to make it happen. Such a shame more people didn't come.

Ian Blackbourn
Old 4th Jun 2022, 9:46 pm   #11
winston_1
Hexode

I resolved not to buy as well but, There was some interesting stuff being sold off from someone who has passed away in France.
Various interesting TV generators, 819/625 pattern generator.. A 1U high Secam generator etc. There were various TV and I looked in vain for a 819 line or dual standard 819/625 one. I was tempted by a Fransat HD satellite box but refrained.

Did buy a Cannon PAL to Secam transcoder and a bedside DAB+ clock radio however.
Old 5th Jun 2022, 12:03 pm   #12
Pamphonica
Nonode

An excellently organised and thoroughly enjoyable garden party as ever. Huge thanks to Eileen, Mike, Richard, Peter and the rest of the gang for putting it on.
The band played all the right songs, 20s to 40s, and the food was delicious and ample, and the sun shone on us all.
And a well stocked sales stall prompted the odd purchase by many, including me!
For those who have never been to a Museum garden party, you really are missing out!
See you all at the Museum soon.
-Jeremy
Old 5th Jun 2022, 4:38 pm   #13
David Church
Banned

We were really looking forward to this but the kids did a belated surprise birthday 'do' for me. We also took part in some of the Jubilee celebrations in honour of Her Maj. Was really looking forward to catching up and having a chat with some of the lads but will do so soon.

Glad it went well.
Old 6th Jun 2022, 8:44 am   #14
peter_scott
Dekatron

If I didn't live 420 miles away I would definitely have joined the party.

Peter
Old 6th Jun 2022, 8:58 pm   #15
dragonser
Heptode

Hi,
If I had been able to arrange cover for my Mum, I would have liked to have visited.
the French Secam stuff sounds interesting...