UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2022, 6:53 am   #1
Ekcoman
Heptode

Default Identify Mystery Record Player

Picked up a record player last week but there are no clues as to a make or model. I wonder if anyone can throw some light on this? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RP.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	262410   Click image for larger version

Name:	RP2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	262411  
Old 8th Aug 2022, 8:06 am   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Identify Mystery Record Player

Could well be one of the many no-name variants offered in Practical Wireless etc. by various dealers around 1960, often using up supplies of a deck from a year or two before the current model - this one has a UA8. The knobs here are generic (Roberts/Dynatron/Decca etc.), and the speaker grille may well have been available from a stock remaining after a production run - as far as possible the players seem to have been built using leftover stocks of this and that to produce a decently performing instrument that could be priced well below its branded equivalents. I'd guess a trawl through the magazines may be the only way to find a likely source for this one, unless a photo of the amp. would ring bells with anybody.

Paul
Old 8th Aug 2022, 9:10 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It could be one made up from a Kit of parts. These were regularly offered by firms like Sterns, RSC, Premier et al. And yes, they were good value, most containing amplifiers as good or better than many of the "big" name brands.
Old 8th Aug 2022, 9:55 am   #4
llama
Octode

I like the 90-degree turn of the, er, turntable. I never understood why makers thought it so good to have the turntable controls at the most inaccessible place, right behind the enlarged section holding the amp and speakers. Your example has the controls close to a lowered part of the case. Well done to whoever made/designed it!
Graham
Old 8th Aug 2022, 12:16 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

Ecko? McMichael?
Old 8th Aug 2022, 3:16 pm   #6
RojDW48
Nonode

Have you looked inside, under the TT. I am currently repairing an old Decca Stereo RP, which is stamped 'August 1958' on the cabinet 'floor'.