UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2022, 7:48 pm   #1
dmowziz
Pentode

Default S11 of capacitor

Hiii...

Trying to get s11 of a capacitor... This is what I did (not correct) :

I first determined the right width of strip for 50 ohms (about 3mm)

Then I used this width (first image), made the tape go abit to the other side of the board (ground)..
The sma is short circuited. I did port extension to make the trace appear as short (The closest I could get, 2nd image)

Then I cut a little bit of the tape at the end to attach the capacitor...

The data is off from expected (s parameter from manufacturer)...

Please kindly assist. GOHZU ?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1551.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	261748   Click image for larger version

Name:	PNG17.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	261749  

Last edited by dmowziz; 28th Jul 2022 at 7:55 pm.
Old 28th Jul 2022, 8:42 pm   #2
Mark1960
Octode

Default Re: S11 of capacitor

To measure SMT components its easier to take four SMT type SMA sockets. Leave one open, add two 100 ohm or 4 200 ohm to one as a 50 ohm load, then a blob of solder on one as a short. The fourth one can then be used to mount the component to be tested. Then calibrate the network analyser with the short open and load.

I think the loss in your stripline is probably having a big effect on your results.
Old 28th Jul 2022, 10:58 pm   #3
dmowziz
Pentode

Hi Mark, thanks... Didn't know there are SMT SMA sockets.

I have a calibration kit for the VNA
Old 29th Jul 2022, 7:24 am   #4
Mark1960
Octode

You can also use through hole SMA connectors and cut the pins close to the surface.

The advantage of making up a cal set with the same connectors as used to mount the capacitor is you then calibrate to the same mounting position.

You could also just use one connector for the capacitor, then after calibrating the network analyser with your cal kit, adjust the position of a short circuit across the capacitor as you did with your stripline.
Closed Thread