UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2022, 9:35 am   #1
glasstransistor
Triode

Default Bush TR82 help/advice

Hi all,
I have recently taken some time to wake up my TR82 collection, all good fun and they all responded well, except one that needs a bit more than a clean up. It's a lowish serial number TR82C that is nice and clean, but after a check over I found the fault in the picture attached.... It seems the folded brass LW/Osc trimmers (hope this is the right terminology) have strangely broken up over time? Please excuse the 'blobs' of solder just wanted to see if strengthening them would help it's weakish LW performance it did somewhat, but it has the faults of the dial being out to what is being received and is quite unstable (bouts of above set volume aggressive white noise) on both lw and mw. I have over the years always had great luck with these sets so this will be the first one I'm going to give a proper look at with a friend a little more electronically set up than me (bench/sig gen)but am looking forward to this and learning from it for the future so I can self help without bothering people this leads me to asking if anyone could help if anyone has had this before and if anyone has a scrap A177 chassis I would gladly buy the spare 'trimmers' as per the photo, should anyone have them before buying in the rest of the components needed after testing, Thanks for your time and consideration. Hope this wasn't too much of a ramble, and hope my descriptions weren't too amateur compared the knowledge and experience on here.
Kind Regards,
Neil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220809_212926.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	262556  
Old 10th Aug 2022, 10:26 am   #2
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: Bush TR82 help/advice

Hi Neil,
If you mean that triple ceramic and brass strip section, it's actually a group of three pre-set capacitors. You might be able to repair them or otherwise replace them. You would probably need to look at the circuit diagram for their value in picofarads, which will be needed to get the correct replacement.

Dave
Old 10th Aug 2022, 1:31 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

The two banks of three trimmers, each of which are 3 - 30pF, are ceramic/silver mica compression trimmers, approximately 10mm x 18mm. While similar trimmers are individually available surplus NOS, unfortunately, each bank of three in the TR82 is specific to the TR82, built onto the mounting bracket as a combined unit, so ideally, you do need what you've asked for - a group of three from a TR82.

Don't know if you've seen the thread at this link. You could send a PM to Dave to see if he can help:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/....php?p=1472116

Hopefully Dave or some other forum member will be able to help.

If not, as a last resort you could perhaps replace them with individual ones, hard wired, such as these, which are 4 -30pf and a similar physical size, but are for PCB mounting:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112020434935

Hope that might help a bit.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 10th Aug 2022, 2:00 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Are you sure these aren't working? It's very unusual for compression trimmers to fail in the way you describe.
Old 10th Aug 2022, 4:50 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

Difficult to make out, but it looks a bit like brass rot. They're not compression on either of my examples, but rotary ceramic as Dave says. You can have the one off my scrapper for the postage if you want it. PM your address.
Old 10th Aug 2022, 10:14 pm   #6
dave_n_t
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post

Hopefully Dave or some other forum member will be able to help.

Good luck in your quest.
Neil's been in touch, and yes, I've got one bank of 3 trimmers which will be dispatched tomorrow (together with a couple of other bits).

dave
Old 11th Aug 2022, 12:33 am   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

That’s great news Dave!
Old 11th Aug 2022, 9:29 am   #8
glasstransistor
Triode

Good Morning all,
Thanks so much for getting back with advice and the offer of a spare bank of trimmers. Have sorted a replacement with dave_n_t and a couple of other bits to tidy up my other sets, looking forward to getting it installed and eventually getting some R4/music out of the set again Totally agree with the rot causing the fractures on the existing trimmer, 2 out of the 3 were a bit green and the cracks were visible under the corrosion, they weren't caused by a rough clean up no signs of it being got at with tool gouges and even the factory paint was intact, I'll never know but could it may have lived in a humid environment causing the brass fail? Bit of a mystery. Thanks again to everyone.
Kind Regards,
Neil.
Closed Thread