UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2015, 1:58 pm   #21
PSValves
Pentode

Default Re: Ekco A22 brass (?) ring

Thanks - had me worried there for a bit
Old 4th Jul 2015, 5:29 pm   #22
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I thought Paul was trying to say that it shouldn't actually be shiny, and never was, even on brand new sets.
Old 4th Jul 2015, 5:52 pm   #23
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Yes that is correct - which is why its important not to be over enthusiastic in rubbing the top coating on the ring. However when used carefully and sparingly Brasso is perfectly fine.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 4th Jul 2015, 7:13 pm   #24
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Great, now I understand!
Old 9th Jul 2015, 5:46 pm   #25
Carl Glover
Retired Dormant Member

All the rings are brass, plated chrome for the black bakelite sets and florentine bronze for the brown sets. You aren't meant to polish bronze by the way.

The A22 is a beautiful set. I've had five, but have never had a perfect example - I tend to see the good ones when I'm broke!
Old 9th Jul 2015, 7:53 pm   #26
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I got myself a nice example of the brown A22 at this years NVCF, the ring on mine has come a bit loose at the top, and also has a few little patches of green stuff on it, it doesn't look like anyone has attacked it with Brasso ever, so I was just going to remove it and give it a careful wash rather than polish it. The dial is also cracked, and I was going to buy one of the repro ones on offer on eBay currently, but decided to just live with it as it is, as it's not that noticeable at a distance. Everything else about it is in really nice clean and undamaged condition, it even worked without any parts being changed, I have however, replaced some of the rubber wiring, as it was crumbling quite badly in places, and re-strung the dial drive correctly, as someone had done it wrong, and with some red string, when the pointer got to the 1 o'clock position, it would slowly begin to move on it's own, then suddenly slump down to the end of the dial!

Regards,
Lloyd.
Old 10th Jul 2015, 11:00 am   #27
PSValves
Pentode

Does anyone know if it's possible to have the ring re-plated with "florentine bronze"? The one on my set has lost some of its plating over the years and the base metal is clearly visible underneath - that's before any polishing. There's also signs of some corrosion on the inside edge near the top, possibly caused by condensation.
Closed Thread