UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2011, 11:56 am   #1
hans109
Retired Dormant Member

Default Tandberg 3041x motor problem

Is someone familiar with this tape recorder? The motor does not run. The two coils in the motor seem to be okay (not burned or something like that).

When checking the tape recorder I noticed that one component (0.1uF + 100 Ohm) looked exploded. I replaced this component but still nothing happens. I noticed that two wires (red from the 230V line and blue to the motor) probably goes to some sort of switch. I think something is wrong with that but I can not see where the wires go to. I was wondering if I could connect them for testing the motor directly.

Does someone an idea how the motor is connected? Is there any hardware information available?
Old 19th Mar 2011, 12:56 pm   #2
frsimen
Heptode

Default Re: Tandberg 3041x motor problem

You can find the service manual for the 3000x series, which includes the 3041x here:

http://sportsbil.com/tandberg/3000x-servicemanual.PDF

Paula
Old 19th Mar 2011, 2:15 pm   #3
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hans ,
I presume you have a tape fitted, otherwise the auto stop mechanism may be your trouble, machine will not run without tape fitted or auto stop blocked.

Colin.
Old 20th Mar 2011, 11:20 am   #4
hans109
Retired Dormant Member

Many many thanks! The service manual looks very useful. Also I did not had a tape fitted and when I did, I did not do that correctly.

Well, with tape correctly fitted it does fast forward and play forward, but slowly backwards. Probably I need to replace the drive belt.

I just got the tape recorder from a shop with the message it does not work and was ready to go to the dump. For the first 3 head cross-field tape recorder I encountered, I thought maybe it is worth to buy and repair. I have an old and rebuilded Telefunken 204TS but is hicks when it is started to play. Furthermore a 2 track Revox E36.
Old 21st Mar 2011, 7:45 am   #5
ricard
Octode

The belts tend to fail on these machines, but until they actually snap, they're usually quite servicable. A greater problem are the friction pads which are located between the reel tables and the pulley beneath them. Usually they have desintegrated by now. Replacements can be made of cork if you have the time and patience. Lasse Hovde in Norway sells spare rubber parts for these machines, see the top of this page: http://www.nrhf.no/kjop-salg/repdeler.html (in Norwegian, but the email address is there and there are pictures...). The parts you need are the semicircular rubber pieces you see in that picture. (The original parts are actually not rubber but some form of foamed polyurethane).

He can also refurbish the pinch roller if it has started to show signs of age (usually going hard and cracking on the Tandbergs).

Replacing the friction pads is not that hard, but you need to remove the reel table by unscrewing a plastic nut (left) and plastic pulley for the counter belt (right) from the back of the machine. Is usually a bit finicky to get at, and don't loose the little fibre washer that's between the nut/pulley and bearing.

/Ricard
Old 21st Mar 2011, 10:46 am   #6
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

As stated by Ricard the clutch discs are a problem , on a personal basis I would use cork pads. However I would start with a new belt before going to the trouble of the new clutch discs, if the belt makes no improvement then the clutch discs can be attempted. If you do fit a new belt BEWARE of the adjustment lugs on the left & right sides of the spool carriers, if you disturb them the spring will as usual be lost, remove the lugs carefully , then fit the belt & replace the lugs. Take note of what you have done & replace the spring as per, the friction pad on the underside of the feed (left) spool will also have to be negotiated to fit the belt. Also thoroughly clean the tape guides especially in the corners as this can impede the tape run.

All the best.

Colin.
Old 22nd Mar 2011, 10:23 am   #7
hans109
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks again for the information! My impression is that the Tandberg seems in pretty good shape. However, I did not test recording yet. I noticed there is corrosion visible on some metal parts.
I think I solved the fast backward problem. The belt was folded in 8 but using the same space of the motor pulley. So the belt was working like a break. Now the belt uses both spaces in the motor pulley. I replaced the drive belt for the counter, that one was a little too wide. The cork looks quite okay, but I will check that again when using it.
Closed Thread