UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 16th Dec 2017, 9:44 am   #1
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default Dial Label Exchange Names

Hi all,

I'm wanting to create an authentic dial label circa 1950s. I've found the perfect one and its the one I use on all my 300/200 series phones, but want my ivory 300 series one to be accurate.

I live just on the outskirts of a town called Goole in East Yorkshire. I just wondered if anyone round here knew what the exchange name for this area was actually called back in the day? As typically just put Goole on the dial label, but I have a feeling it probably wasn't a simple as that.

PS back in the 1950s it would've been in West Riding of Yorkshire and later North Humberside my town and area had a lot of boundary changes over the years.

Cheers

Ryan
Old 16th Dec 2017, 11:33 am   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Dial Label Exchange Names

There was an STD code of 0405 (0GO5) named Goole. Otherwise, would it be possible to work back from your present exchange code?
Old 16th Dec 2017, 3:16 pm   #3
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Current area code is 01405 so I imagine Goole is correct then

cheers
Old 17th Dec 2017, 1:03 am   #4
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_1993 View Post
I live just on the outskirts of a town called Goole in East Yorkshire. I just wondered if anyone round here knew what the exchange name for this area was actually called back in the day? As typically just put Goole on the dial label, but I have a feeling it probably wasn't a simple as that.

PS back in the 1950s it would've been in West Riding of Yorkshire and later North Humberside my town and area had a lot of boundary changes over the years.
The name on the labels would have been 'Goole' but are they CB phones (i.e. no dial) or ones with a dial? Reason being that Goole didn't go automatic until 1970 !
Old 17th Dec 2017, 3:55 am   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

There may well have been a group of neighbouring exchanges with 040xy or 040xyz 3 or 4 digit numbers, which could have been dialled from Goole as something like 8y or 8yz and from which Goole numbers could be dialled by prefixing with 9.

For example, Derby was 0332; Draycott was 03317 -- 87 from Derby -- with 4-digit numbers, and Kirk Langley was 033124 -- 824 from Derby -- with 3-digit numbers. 0331 was basically a shortcut from the Outside World to the "8" hunt group of the 0332 exchange. These eventually became 6-digit Derby numbers when the exchanges went digital. Likewise Northampton was 0604, but some surrounding villages were 0601xy -- 8xy from Northampton -- before becoming 6-digit Northampton numbers. And there were countless more.
Old 17th Dec 2017, 10:39 am   #6
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Didn't apply in the Goole area - when Goole went auto circa beginning of 1970, the group of UAXs parented on Goole had the 0405 8X codes. Goole was never listed as '0G05' as it was a manual exchange until well after the start of 'all figure numbering' and hence not 'diallable' via STD. STD Code doesn't appear in codebooks until 1970 and even then the '0405' code is marked 'This exchange is not yet available by STD when this booklet went to press. Dial 100 for the present and be connected via the operator until advised...'

Ryan lives in the area served by 'Goole' exchange itself - if he's still at No 40? ;-) So 'Goole' is the appropriate exchange but to have a label appropriate to the 1950/60's, it would need to be one appropriate for a manual exchange. By the time it went auto, the label would have been a grey 'Label 486' - the older familiar red and black 'Label 160' - 'In case of Emergency dial 999' - would never have been produced for Goole.
Old 31st Dec 2017, 1:34 am   #7
Tim
Dekatron

Would it have been GPO or Hull city telephones?
Old 31st Dec 2017, 10:59 am   #8
Mark James
Hexode

Is there anywhere that one can download "blanks" for labels as I would also like to make some for my old phones?

Mark
Old 31st Dec 2017, 11:09 am   #9
Tim
Dekatron

I got one off an old phone, scanned it and doctored it with a photo editing program( paint.net ISTR, but others are available). Then you can apply your desired number etc. and print out as many as you like. Times new Roman looks quite good.
I think I have also Googled and found some.
Old 31st Dec 2017, 11:32 am   #10
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post

Hull City Telephones did not spread their wings much, not sure how far but I am sure they would not serve Goole.

John.
Old 31st Dec 2017, 3:36 pm   #11
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Is there anywhere that one can download "blanks" for labels as I would also like to make some for my old phones?
What I do is a Google image search eg:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=....0.kYPEfF8y8NA

Download a likely candidate, then use your favorite image editing application to replace the number with your own.
Old 31st Dec 2017, 5:59 pm   #12
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Here you go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dial Labels.pdf (153.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: zip Dial Labels.zip (352.7 KB, 70 views)
Old 31st Dec 2017, 8:10 pm   #13
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Goole was GPO Telephones.

Hull Corporation area owned 15 exchanges in its area -
Civic*
Mytongate*
Newland*
North*
South*
East*
West*
Beverley*
Bilton Bar*
Brough
Cottingham*
Ferriby
Hedon*
Hessle*
Kirk Ella*
Those marked with * took/take the name 'Hull' in 1964 and by the mid 1970's they all had adopted the name 'Hull' with STD code 0482.

There were also two other exchanges in the Hull Corporation Area - the GPO had an exchange that went by the name of Hull (Anson) which was a Non-Director Group Switching Centre for the GPO exchanges in the GPO Charge group areas which were adjacent (local calls) to the Hull Corporation area. These were the 0401 X group on level 5X off Anson; 0430 X in Level 4X; 0964 X group on Level 6X and 0966 X group on Level 7X. 0430 46XXX were GPO Telephones within the Hull Corporation area used for GPO purposes i.e. 0439 46290 was the fault reporting telephone for 'Anson' exchange.

There was also a GPO auto-manual exchange to handle all the manual traffic from the above GPO STD code areas.

I've uploaded a map of the GPO exchanges in the Hull Corporation local call charge area and you see it doesn't even reach as far as Goole.

Ian J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hull-HCT-LocalCallArea.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	154777  
Old 31st Dec 2017, 8:48 pm   #14
Mark James
Hexode

Thanks for all the information.